Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake on the Cheap using stock airbox

Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake on the Cheap using stock airbox

Fellow JK'rs, I had a bit of a play around on the weekend with my Aussie variant of the JK with the 2.8litre Turbo Diesel and modified my air intake to fit a pod air filter. I believe the airbox is the same with the petrol? not 100% sure but this is what I did with mine.

Purchase 1x 65mm 90degree PVC plumbing elbow and some automotive silicone sealant.

Trim 20-30mm off one end of the PVC elbow and fit this end into the air intake section of the airbox just near the sensor. It requires some muscle to twist it in there but it is a nice snug fit (alternatively give it a light sand to make it less of an interference fit)

The tubing that directs the air from the outside of the airbox down to the underside of the original air filter requires a 20mm trim, remove it from the airbox and trim up being careful not to cut too much off or else you will remove the retaining mould of the tubing.

Once this is in place and not sealed in do some trial fits with the pod filter attached to the other end. It took me a little while to get the angle just right so that the airbox closed easily.

Once you have got the correct angle and the airbox closes easily apply the sealant to the outer edges of the plumbing elbow and leave to dry for a couple of hours, once dry fasten the pod filter to the elbow, close up the airbox and re-install back into the JK!

ENJOY!!

Mine has been great so far!

The elbow cost me $2.95, silicone sealant approx $5 and the pod filter was about $50.

I will however be making an additional sock to go over the filter when i'm hitting dustier driving, or in the long run installing an snorkel with a pre-filter.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Cai

Sounds cool, I cant see the pics from my work computer, I'd like to check it out at home.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay out of the water, I did something very similar to that and the bottom half filled with water beacause the top half doesn't fit, then guess what happened............BANG. you have just created a cold water intake. I was only in 6" of water as well, just playin back and forth and the water must have been splashing up from underneith.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Default MOPAR jeep wrangler inlet seal part number 53034131AB

Cheapest intake out there - unfortunately you need to order from outside the USA!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MOPAR inlet seal 53034131AB side.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	39642

Name:	MOPAR inlet seal 53034131AB.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	39643

Name:	MOPAR jeep wrangler inlet seal part number 53034131AB.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	39644
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
Cheapest intake out there - unfortunately you need to order from outside the USA!

Attachment 39642

Attachment 39643

Attachment 39644
now that is a good find Sir!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Lol, I had considered the water issue, hence I'm not playing in water until I have a snorkel, or just change between a standard design filter when heading off road, K&N filters make a great one in Australia that is Hiflow and washable
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
Stay out of the water, I did something very similar to that and the bottom half filled with water beacause the top half doesn't fit, then guess what happened............BANG. you have just created a cold water intake. I was only in 6" of water as well, just playin back and forth and the water must have been splashing up from underneith.
When you say the top half didnt fit, are you referring to the actual airbox not closing correctly? with the mod i have done the airbox closes perfectly tight and the only ingress of water would be through the actual intake tubing.

Regards,
GenX
Old 03-31-2010, 10:20 PM
JK Newbie

looks cool, but i would keep an eye on it.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake on the Cheap using stock airbox