Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake - Which is best? What is your experience?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just recently put 35in tires on mine and i dont really care how it performs offroad because i dont do EXTREME wheeling offroad enough to need extra power for that, however i do need more power on the highway and since mine is a 6sp i dont want to regear. now i know that everyone has their own opinions on which ones are the best, but does anyone have a link to some reviews on how much gains the different CAI actualy will give you?....Also last i heard the xdi true flow gave the best overall gains, but they no longer sell them on quadratec and i was wondering if anyone knows why?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by asifasdi
i just recently put 35in tires on mine and i dont really care how it performs offroad because i dont do EXTREME wheeling offroad enough to need extra power for that, however i do need more power on the highway and since mine is a 6sp i dont want to regear. now i know that everyone has their own opinions on which ones are the best, but does anyone have a link to some reviews on how much gains the different CAI actualy will give you?....Also last i heard the xdi true flow gave the best overall gains, but they no longer sell them on quadratec and i was wondering if anyone knows why?
Trueflow went out of business at the beginning of last summer, from my experience their intakes sucked anyway. I had one on for 3 weeks, I started running rich and I honestly didnt see any performance gains, did however gain 0.1 mpg If you're gonna do an intake you should probably compliment it with a catback exhaust system and a superchips programmer, then you might see some worthwhile gains.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by asifasdi
Well... I think I know why the went out of business... Too many warranty issues.

The first filter canister on the True Flow XDI that I had Broke at the bracket weld... creating a hole in the filter canister, allowing air to pass unfiltered through into the engine.

They sent a replacement with an 'upgraded' bracket. This was a little over a year ago. Guess what... same thing happened again with the 'upgraded' one. Did an emergency swap out with the stock air box last night.

I just hope that the engine is okay... there's no telling what dirt/metal fragments the engine ingested.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

If you really feel compelled to spend the money, make sure you buy a poly tubed CAI as metal ones will transfer heat into the intake. A pre-filter would be recommended to somewhat combat water getting into the intake.

As far as gains, there isn't much there, but I do agree with a previous statement suggesting that taking care of the exhaust side in conjunction with the intake will net the best results.

For my money, and having to do it over again, I would just do a drop in AFE or K&N filter. Removes much of the water hazard, delivers some performance and nobody's butt meter is going to discern any difference between what it delivers compared to a CAI.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default AEM Brute Force Intake

I've got an AEM Brute Force intake if anyone wants it -- 100 miles on it. I'll sell it for 240 plus I want your stock air box.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any intake that the filter remains in the engine bay is really a SHORT RAM INTAKE. I have no idea why the jeep community refers these intakes as Cold Air Intakes.

A marketing ploy more then anything since colder air generally makes more power.

So with that said SRI's are great as long as you know your water limits. I do 90% highway so a SRI is much better then a snorkel or stock airbox.

As for which one the best would be the largest diameter tubing and filter u can find. Don't worry about whether or not it's metal or plastic tube. All SRI's will heatsoak as you sit at a light. Once you start moving again they will cool down.

In conclusion if your are serious about power then u will need more then just an intake. Also get and exhaust, superchips, and/or headers.

If I didn't give a damn about the warranty I would rock the
BORLA XR-1 Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers in a heartbeat.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

i have a airaid cai. Wanted to replace the filter with a new one and could not fine one so installed a K&N filter on it . Worksgreat. interchangable
Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Just put on a K&N intake. I do notice a difference on the highway when kicking into "passing gear" (auto trans). Plus it makes the engine sound much better. There is a slight whistle around 2000 rpm. N

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake - Which is best? What is your experience?