Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake - Which is best? What is your experience?

Old 03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi Folks! While my input on this is limited to say the least, my Dealers Service Manager told me if I brought my JK in for servicing and it had a CAI system installed (I do not have any intentions of installing one due to my particular use of the JEEP), he would take pictures of it, document its manufacturer etc, and void out the engine portion of the warranty. I don't know the legalities of his warning but it isn't an issue in my case. Just thought I'd pass it on though. DC may have issued an internal memo demanding that the service managers do this? Take care... Mike

Tell him to get bent and find another (friendlier) dealer/service dept and report him to Chrysler.

Originally Posted by Trynity
Personally, I don't get all this hype about $200 CAIs for a JK. Even with projected gains of about 4-5 HP, I can think of much better mods than that for the money. At the same time, I felt sorry for the lack of power we JK owners we're getting. So, I built myself a home made CAI (can't take pictures atm because I'm out of the country) but it mainly consists of a cheap Autozone cone filter I had laying around stuck with a Spectre adapter on the end of the stock piping. I'm in the process of finding a suitable intake pipe but in the meantime, this setup does the job. I'd recommend it to everyone who wants to save $180 over an ''engineered'' CAI. I can definitely feel the power now when I open it up a little and the engine now sounds more like it should be (deep growl at around 3k rpm). There it goes! $180 more towards some new tires and a lift.

X2!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No whistle with the AEM

David
Old 03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this has been said or not yet but all I have done is buy a drop in K&N filter for $42 and wriggle out the snorkel from the stock air box....its not a lot but opens up the box a decent amount. Probably the lowest cost/effort thing you can do to get more air in.

I'm with the guys doing their own intakes...its insane these intakes for $200+
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the True Flow XDI and i only have one issue with it.. I will have to remove the kit to clean the filter... But I do like the fact that It can be easily modded to utilize a snorkel in the future... That was the reason I got it in the first place the design....

No whistle here at any time and the intake just sounds awesome when you tromp on it! Yet super quiet on that long trip!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

I've got the airaid ... i like the sound ... feels like a little more power ... and the whistle is slight and I never even give it a thought.

Overall, I'm pleased.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trynity
Personally, I don't get all this hype about $200 CAIs for a JK. Even with projected gains of about 4-5 HP, I can think of much better mods than that for the money. At the same time, I felt sorry for the lack of power we JK owners we're getting. So, I built myself a home made CAI (can't take pictures atm because I'm out of the country) but it mainly consists of a cheap Autozone cone filter I had laying around stuck with a Spectre adapter on the end of the stock piping. I'm in the process of finding a suitable intake pipe but in the meantime, this setup does the job. I'd recommend it to everyone who wants to save $180 over an ''engineered'' CAI. I can definitely feel the power now when I open it up a little and the engine now sounds more like it should be (deep growl at around 3k rpm). There it goes! $180 more towards some new tires and a lift.
Yeah, heck if that's all the extra power they make, just rev the engine a little higher and it'll have the same affect. LOL

Seriously though, if there is a GOOD unit out there that completely blocks off hot engine air from getting into the intake AND has PROVEN dyno results with some substantial gains AND filters as good or better than stock, I'd give it a look. I think those are tall orders, though.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Yeah, heck if that's all the extra power they make, just rev the engine a little higher and it'll have the same affect. LOL

Seriously though, if there is a GOOD unit out there that completely blocks off hot engine air from getting into the intake AND has PROVEN dyno results with some substantial gains AND filters as good or better than stock, I'd give it a look. I think those are tall orders, though.
This is a "to each their own" argument.

A GOOD unit is highly subjective. What is "good"? The way it's made? The way it looks? The way it performs?

The only way to "completely" block off hot engine air would take a snorkel, perhaps even an insulated one at that. Maybe it boils down to just being a bit better than stock. Do any of the brands do better than the stock unit? How would one know?

"Substantial" gains are in the eye of the beholder since my "substantial" might be the next guy's "marginal" or even "statistically irrelevant".

Filtering as good or better than stock? Don't most of the manufacturers already claim that? I guess it boils down to whether you believe them or not.

I would think that each JK can make up their own minds about all of these highly subjective terms, just as you did. Long live opinions!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All pretty much true. A snorkel really isn't needed to acheive true cold air, though. All you need to do is go through the opening in the radiator support that's already there. Granted, it would lower the intake opening a little. And as for "filtering as good as stock" like I said......you used the word "claims". That's all they are is claims. If it flows more air, chances are more dirt too. I know there are exceptions, but before I go throwing good money after bad, I want proof, not a bunch of BS charts, graphs claims and sales pitches. Besides all that, approaching 300 bucks for gains under 10 HP? Not in my lifetime. You're exactly right though, all of this is only my opinion, as is yours. But hay man, both our Jeeps are still cool.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi Folks! While my input on this is limited to say the least, my Dealers Service Manager told me if I brought my JK in for servicing and it had a CAI system installed (I do not have any intentions of installing one due to my particular use of the JEEP), he would take pictures of it, document its manufacturer etc, and void out the engine portion of the warranty. I don't know the legalities of his warning but it isn't an issue in my case. Just thought I'd pass it on though. DC may have issued an internal memo demanding that the service managers do this? Take care... Mike
This is not true. Only if you ford a river and suck water in your engine, or your aftermarket intake system cause a problem with your engine can they void the warranty, but they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.

you could put 10 turbos and 1000 shot of Nitrous and they still couldnt void your warranty, assuming that those parts didnt cause the catastrophic engine failure.

It is all around the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It states that a company must PROVE that an aftermarket part caused a failure, before they can void a warranty.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TekWarren
Not sure if this has been said or not yet but all I have done is buy a drop in K&N filter for $42 and wriggle out the snorkel from the stock air box....its not a lot but opens up the box a decent amount. Probably the lowest cost/effort thing you can do to get more air in.

I'm with the guys doing their own intakes...its insane these intakes for $200+
x2. I did take it a step farther though and have been very happy with the results. I saved $200 on the cold air intake by cutting out my own:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/oe-air-box-mod-free-31822/

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake - Which is best? What is your experience?