Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake - Which is best? What is your experience?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input folks!

Incase you're interested in the Volant Powercore for 07 Wranglers, I just got an email from customer service at Volant saying that a Powercore filter IS NOW available to fit JK's!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default CAI Value?

Looking at all the data it seems to me that a CAI is worthless on the JK. We need to wait for some superchargers and use a reasonable boost of 4 - 5 LBS to see some worthwhile gains.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Butt-Dyno

Just put in an AFE CAI. I can definitely feel the difference. It isn't a chip & it isn't a hypercharger, but it wakes up the undeniably sluggish mini van engine.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default thanks again!

thanks guys for all of the input! I read through all of the comments, and followed the advice of searching the forums, and checked through all of the links that you guys listed. great information!

i did receive an email from Volant saying that there is a PowerCore filter now available for 07 JK Wranglers. It is part number 61513, which is NOT listed on their website. But it is out there, it's pretty easy to find with a google search.

I like the powercore because it's oil-free. I've been using an oil-free CAI in my 04 Silverado Crew paired with a Flowmaster Cat-Back system for a couple of years, and it's been great. It feels like it has more "pep" and once I stopped stomping the gas to hear the muffler, I was getting about 40-50 extra miles out of each tank of gas! Hopefully in a month or two I'll be coupling this Volant Powercore setup with a Flowmaster Exhaust for the Wrangler. now i have to work on deciding between a 2-out exhaust setup or a 1-out setup. When reading through the links in this thread, one of the guys gave results of dyno testing between 1 and 2 out exhaust setups. i personally like the look of 2 pipes coming out the back, but the name of the game here with exhaust and intakes is performance, so i need to gather more information!

isn't modding our jeeps fun?!?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 AM
0o7
JK Newbie

Default True Flow XDI

Installed a True Flow XDI yesterday and my opinion so far is good. I made it a point to not floor it everywhere first thing and just drive around town like normal and I noticed that my tranny is not shifting down near as much in places where it used too. It's pretty quiet when cruising down the highway but has a pretty deep tone when I need to accelerate. The contruction and quality are both solid. Instructions suck but I've installed several so it wasn't a problem. Even if I hadn't installed some before, I could have installed it without instructions. Pretty self explainitory. The only complaint I have for this is that it's gonna be kinda of a pain to clean the filter. I'll basically have to remove most of the intake to get the filter out. Overall, I'm happy with it and think that there are some definite gains in horsepower and torque even at low rpms. No dyno, sorry. Next week, I'm installing headers and a catback so I'm thinking that will really open up it's breathing. for True Flow
Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed a AEM brute force on our 4 door this weekend and did not say a word to my wife. "its her daily driver" And after she drove it she asked me if i changed anything

She said it sounded "beefier" and seemed like it had more power.

Now take this for what it is worth I did not tell her anything about it before hand and she has no clue what a CAI is or what it does.

Personally I drove it and liked the sound the engine made and like the fact that the filter should last a really long time.

David
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Zee
JK Freak

I put in an Airaid SRI with Poweraid TBS this weekend. The jeep no longer struggles at 1500-2500 RPM which was my biggest beef with the engine. Definitely a good upgrade. Seems to wake up the engine for sure. I like it a LOT.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

There is a shootout in JP magazine this month on ten different systems. You may want to check it out, it was on a TJ platform, but the results should be similar.

If I remember correctly, the Airaid posted the biggest gains.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi Folks! While my input on this is limited to say the least, my Dealers Service Manager told me if I brought my JK in for servicing and it had a CAI system installed (I do not have any intentions of installing one due to my particular use of the JEEP), he would take pictures of it, document its manufacturer etc, and void out the engine portion of the warranty. I don't know the legalities of his warning but it isn't an issue in my case. Just thought I'd pass it on though. DC may have issued an internal memo demanding that the service managers do this? Take care... Mike
Just how stupid does this jerk think we are? Show him this picture and ask him if he would report to Chrysler that a Mopar CAI approved for the JK is installed. What a moron (him, not you!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	77060021-300.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	6738
Old 03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally, I don't get all this hype about $200 CAIs for a JK. Even with projected gains of about 4-5 HP, I can think of much better mods than that for the money. At the same time, I felt sorry for the lack of power we JK owners we're getting. So, I built myself a home made CAI (can't take pictures atm because I'm out of the country) but it mainly consists of a cheap Autozone cone filter I had laying around stuck with a Spectre adapter on the end of the stock piping. I'm in the process of finding a suitable intake pipe but in the meantime, this setup does the job. I'd recommend it to everyone who wants to save $180 over an ''engineered'' CAI. I can definitely feel the power now when I open it up a little and the engine now sounds more like it should be (deep growl at around 3k rpm). There it goes! $180 more towards some new tires and a lift.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake - Which is best? What is your experience?