Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake

Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Poordad, there are some pics of snorkel install and underhood in my album, check them out
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh302/tkob1060/
Old 04-06-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marcoseddi
So I Am Thinking About A Cold Air Intake System For This Week Trying To Decide On A Good System Always Love Your Guys Suggestions And Thoughts......

Thanks
Hey Marcos, if you read alot of whats written on this forum about cai you would find that most do NOT notice a difference to justify spending 200+ bucks on it, save your money for a regear or Hypertech max energy programmer

Where in nj are you?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy pics

yo thats some crazy ass shit your goin through im from long branch new jersey i dont see much like that where you doing that at what happen with your car after it was running alright
Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Default well

I got my cold air intatke, and had the first oil change done, so I felt alot of get up and go, but I assume it was mostly the engine finally breaking in.

I went back to stock from the Airade, I was just going the CAI until I could get a snorkel, but I don't like to avoid mud and water. I noticed, I don't have the growl that is awesome anymore, but going up hills in sixth gear, I drop speed a little faster, and It takes slightly longer to gain it back...

Does it make a difference? mine did. I get used to autos very quickly so I can tell little perceptions. Did it make a huge difference? no not really.
It makes a cool noise, like you have an engine under there, not mini-van guts, and makes throttle response, a little more responsive...
Still got the CAI taking up space in storage.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BaltChief
I have been thinking about getting one to. But lately I have read allot of people are getting h2o in their engines with these.....so now I am considering a snorkel, but wondering if that would be overkill for what I want. I am also concerned about snorkel in the snow....I am afraid heavy snow could block the intake.
For sure, you need to be careful if you're water fording with a CAI... but it can be done. Case in point, from this past weekend... and this wasn't even the deepest spot that I forded that day! I have an Airaid CAI, and would highly recommend it to anyone that's looking to add a CAI to their JK.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Lightbulb hope you don't mind me posting a pic of your jeep

I like it except for this.

What is the point of this thing here? It looks like the air comes in the top and it goes down through the filter and out the bottom?
Am I the only one who sees this as a horribly bad idea?
I doubt you will get enough water into your snorkel that it goes in this far, but if it ever did, instead of collecting in that black box, and you drain it out later, it goes straight into the intake of your engine? maybe not all at once, but drops here and there are sure to add up...
Old 04-13-2008, 01:31 AM
JK Freak

Question

Ok, so I've been reading lots about CAIs. If I understand correctly, the positive is nominal increase in power (and a cool sound). The drawback is water in the intake (possibly). Would something like this be better?

So my other question, as I've been researching CAIs is this: Could you add a cone filter inside the stock airbox (I haven't looked at the airbox in depth, and it's 5:30am here, so I'm not going to ATM) and get some of the same benefits without the negatives of increased water risk?

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do here...
Old 04-13-2008, 01:37 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by snowbdr88
Ok, so I've been reading lots about CAIs. If I understand correctly, the positive is nominal increase in power (and a cool sound). The drawback is water in the intake (possibly). Would something like this be better?

So my other question, as I've been researching CAIs is this: Could you add a cone filter inside the stock airbox (I haven't looked at the airbox in depth, and it's 5:30am here, so I'm not going to ATM) and get some of the same benefits without the negatives of increased water risk?

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do here...
It may be possible to fab a cone filter inside the stock box (if you could find one to fit), I guess the question is what would be the benefit? If you were to keep the stock box you could just buy a drop in re-useable filter. I think anything that keeps the stock box (or a setup similar) will really yield next to no horsepower gains.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS
Does your Jeep feel like it has more HP when its cold out? Probably not, so why would you spend $250-$300 on a "cold air intake"? You may gain a couple of HP with a new filter element and a smooth intake tube, but it is hardly worth the $$$ in my opinion. If it is just the sound you are after, then go for it, but I wouldn't expect any noticeable HP gains. Dumping money into intakes and exhausts on a 3.8L jeep motor is like doing the same with a Ford focus or the like. It just isn't made to produce big HP, and benefits very little from these types of mods. I would spend my money elsewhere. Save up for new gears. This is just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree.
I haven't felt a difference in my Jeep in cold tempps, but my '65 Valiant drag car sure did love the cold weather. It ran consistantly quicker and faster in cold weather....and THAT was VERIFIED by the time slips. Man I miss that car. 9.40s@141 MPH and I drove it everyday.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake