Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake

Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

So I Am Thinking About A Cold Air Intake System For This Week Trying To Decide On A Good System Always Love Your Guys Suggestions And Thoughts......

Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

I have been thinking about getting one to. But lately I have read allot of people are getting h2o in their engines with these.....so now I am considering a snorkel, but wondering if that would be overkill for what I want. I am also concerned about snorkel in the snow....I am afraid heavy snow could block the intake.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi

Try a search, you'll get dozens of threads with hundreds of useful posts. It's what I used to help me decide on my Airaid
Old 04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BaltChief
I have been thinking about getting one to. But lately I have read allot of people are getting h2o in their engines with these.....so now I am considering a snorkel, but wondering if that would be overkill for what I want. I am also concerned about snorkel in the snow....I am afraid heavy snow could block the intake.
You can have the best of both worlds with the Volant.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Yeah - ALL open element intakes are more likely to suck in water...more for a street rig.

The Volant has probably the best solution, in that it at least actually draws in cold air, instead of air from under the hood like most of the others do.

Of course, for the price, and considering the other benefits, the snorkel is the ULTIMATE COLD AIR INTAKE....definetely out from under the hood, and, least likely to take in water.

I've NEVER heard of a snorkel clogging with snow, and we've wheeled deep snow, in storms, in the mountains, and never ever had a clog....where as under the hood, snow can pack into stuff just fine, up by the top of the windshield, not so much snow....

Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Does your Jeep feel like it has more HP when its cold out? Probably not, so why would you spend $250-$300 on a "cold air intake"? You may gain a couple of HP with a new filter element and a smooth intake tube, but it is hardly worth the $$$ in my opinion. If it is just the sound you are after, then go for it, but I wouldn't expect any noticeable HP gains. Dumping money into intakes and exhausts on a 3.8L jeep motor is like doing the same with a Ford focus or the like. It just isn't made to produce big HP, and benefits very little from these types of mods. I would spend my money elsewhere. Save up for new gears. This is just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Well, you'd gain the cold air charge, which is denser, and has more oxygen....but, only see an improvement in performance if the amount was a limiting factor...otherwise, its like taking extra vitamins, and just having more expensive pee.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marcoseddi
So I Am Thinking About A Cold Air Intake System For This Week Trying To Decide On A Good System Always Love Your Guys Suggestions And Thoughts......

Thanks
A lot of people complain about the CAI option probably because of the name "Cold Air" or the price; if they changed the name to PAA - “Potentially Additional Air” intakes you would see less complaining. But if you are like me and can afford it without whining about it then go for it because I think it just can't hurt. Yes, I went with the True Flow XDI CAI and the Banks Monster exhaust and if I gain nothing then whatever, if I gain something then the better, but in the end the $10,000 in MODs that I spend of the next several months the $630 won’t matter. Of course a 5.13 gear swap is also coming in a few months to really help the little V6 out.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Well, you'd gain the cold air charge, which is denser, and has more oxygen....but, only see an improvement in performance if the amount was a limiting factor...otherwise, its like taking extra vitamins, and just having more expensive pee.

I like that. Any how, I had the AIRAID and after soaking it I changed it back to stock. It didn't ingest but getting it wet is enough for me. The gains, if any, were nothing impressive. I was only cruising through maybe 2ft of muddy water. So, I would say get one that is enclosed if you have to have one.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Senor Sig, got any pictures of under the hood of your Jeep? I am curious to see what the other end of that snorkel looks like.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake