Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold air intake

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GarrettPatton
I don't know of any evidence supporting this theory, most performance filters offer a higher flow and improved filtration over OEM. I'd say the only support for your theory would be through improper maintenance. Good luck with your looking into it though
Most of the stuff I read stated that the increase in air flow also meant an increase of dirt and debris (to an extent that the new filter could not block). Articles also mentioned that with the jk's, cai intake really made no diff. in performace since so many factors with the engine are controlled electronically. They stated the best performance enhancement would be a programmer.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Manologuka
I got another question if the sound changes on the motor is it gonna change on the exhaust too?
The change in sound does not change at the exhaust end it changes from under the hood. Most factory air intakes are baffled to keep intake noise form being heard. At wide open throttle on a short straight intake it makes a moaning roaring type of noise that I actually like.

Originally Posted by phillybaggett
Most of the stuff I read stated that the increase in air flow also meant an increase of dirt and debris (to an extent that the new filter could not block). Articles also mentioned that with the jk's, cai intake really made no diff. in performace since so many factors with the engine are controlled electronically. They stated the best performance enhancement would be a programmer.
Increased dirt and debris past the filter would be from an improper installation. If they are saying that the filter will get dirty faster and get blocked because it is more vulnerable, there might be something to that. I will say that it isn't enough to make me stop using mine. I just watch it closer since the element is openly visible anyway. I also believe that most performance increase claims are embellished a bit (sometimes a lot) with stock vehicles but I use them anyway since I like the sound.

Jer
Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone out there running Injen CAI? About to buy a CAI but not seeing anyone with an Injen. I do a lot of off roading and tend to hit the puddles and mud pits frequently. I may need to change that if put a CAI in. The Banks CAI looks pretty enclosed, like the Injen CAI but the Injen one has a bunch of little holes around the box it sits in. Anyone have an experience with Injen, on thier jeep?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a AFE CAI and performance was great. However some jeeps whistle like a teapot and I have been fortunate enough to have 2 that have whistled. You can hear the whistle slightly with the factory air box, but with the cai the sound in magnified. I could not handle the sound so I went back to stock
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Love the Banks CAI on my '12. Hoping the wife gets me their Monster exhaust for my Bday in a few months.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Back in Black
I had a AFE CAI and performance was great. However some jeeps whistle like a teapot and I have been fortunate enough to have 2 that have whistled. You can hear the whistle slightly with the factory air box, but with the cai the sound in magnified. I could not handle the sound so I went back to stock
Eeeek...I wouldn't be able to deal with a whistling intake tract.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake