Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Cold Air intake!!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jv82
I agree!
Banks Power-Ram CAI
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abailey
Looking to get a cold air intake for my 6 speed. Everything else is stock (for now). Which one do you suggest for the best results?
Build your own....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2304151551.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	151158   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1608109297.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	151159  
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was just at the 4x4 shop this weekend and couldnt decide, so i left with empty hands...Too much to measure up in regards to possible hydro-lock and metal or plastic and airaid has a smaller diameter tube compared to afe...K&N drop in has a nice price but just like the last guy said, i want more! Volant is nice but very pricey and Banks is up there too. I guess i will just keep saving the pennies or maybe....let the wife eat noodles for a couple weeks?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In terms of sealed, the options are aFe, volant, and banks correct? Which is the best? Also I want an oil-free model and don't want to have to worry about hydro-lock. I do not plan on running a snorkel in the future either.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any options out there that take up less space? Freeing up that huge box area would be nice for something like a second battery. On my TJ I pulled all that stuff off and just put a K&N cone on the throttle body. Doesn't do anything for you cold air wise, but plenty of flow and looks good to me. Getting water in is a possible concern, more so on the JK where the filter would stick forward (I think).
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mastiff
Any options out there that take up less space? Freeing up that huge box area would be nice for something like a second battery. On my TJ I pulled all that stuff off and just put a K&N cone on the throttle body. Doesn't do anything for you cold air wise, but plenty of flow and looks good to me. Getting water in is a possible concern, more so on the JK where the filter would stick forward (I think).
This is on a larger throttle body, but it doesn't make any difference, you'll just need a different coupler than I used.

With the Outerwears installed:

I have no worries about hydrolock since the bottom of the filter is about as high as the stock inlet and I don't think "Trail Rated" means "seaworthy". The silicon connector spaces the filter out so the serpentine belt does not throw crap on it. I just punched a hole in the connector for the OEM sensor. I don't care that it's right behind the radiator since I don't believe the OEM location is any cooler. The parts are:

Spectre filter #9735
Spectre coupler #976x
Outerwears #20-1278

You'll need something for the crankcase vent hose, too.

Last edited by tslewisz; 04-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
In terms of sealed, the options are aFe, volant, and banks correct? Which is the best? Also I want an oil-free model and don't want to have to worry about hydro-lock. I do not plan on running a snorkel in the future either.

I have a Volant and am planning to buy the oil-free filter. Despite the intake is inside a box, Volant sells a sleeve that offers higher protection in very wet environments. May think about this one here for Seattle. ;-)
Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice. That's exactly what I was thinking about. Thanks.

Originally Posted by tslewisz
This is on a larger throttle body, but it doesn't make any difference, you'll just need a different coupler than I used.

With the Outerwears installed:

I have no worries about hydrolock since the bottom of the filter is about as high as the stock inlet and I don't think "Trail Rated" means "seaworthy". The silicon connector spaces the filter out so the serpentine belt does not throw crap on it. I just punched a hole in the connector for the OEM sensor. I don't care that it's right behind the radiator since I don't believe the OEM location is any cooler. The parts are:

Spectre filter #9735
Spectre coupler #976x
Outerwears #20-1278

You'll need something for the crankcase vent hose, too.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

AEM Bruteforce from Northridge
Old 04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_ONE
AEM Bruteforce from Northridge
I have the brute force and it is amazing! Aem all the way! Sounds meaner and works better than other brands. According to my guys in the club(ever cai from k&n to violant and home made). They all want my intake! Brute force is the way to go!

Quick Reply: Which Cold Air intake!!