Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Cold Air intake!!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dafunk714
whats the major difference? sorry im a newbie
i had a drop in k & n and the difference was minimal.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saharastyle1354
i made my own...got a spectre kit at auto zone, one 45 degree bend is all it has. nice conical lifetime filter on the end..all of the parts were included besides a usuable bracket. fabricated one myself, and it was a done deal. the only bitch was the temperature sensor..but after some silicon lube she came out. 65 bucks or so and its unbelieveable what an increase in power i got from JUST the intake before i got the exhaust. I don't worry about blocking it from getting hot air under the hood with any kind of box..HUGE improvement! if you want to just buy one though, banks is the way to go.
Hi,

Im interested in fabricating an intake for my 07 sahara. are you happy with your intake, if so do you have any pics?

thanks

k
Old 02-22-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abailey
Looking to get a cold air intake for my 6 speed. Everything else is stock (for now). Which one do you suggest for the best results?
K&N fo sho, gained an amazing 10hp!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

I started with the K&N drop-in after I installed my new exhaust. Then, last month I bought this aFe sealed intake.

Install was easy (under an hour). Sound is awesome. Performance... hard to say without a dyno but it sure is a lot more fun to step on the gas now.

If you plan on using a snorkel now or in the future, Volant looks like a good choice. If not, this aFe is a great choice. They have 3 different filters to choose from too. Depending on the kind of driving you are doing. One of those choices is their Pro-Dry filter that is not oiled so the cleaning is quick and easy.

You can look at these things all day and everyone will have their favorites. Performance difference is going to be minor, if at all. In my opinion, it comes down to use (snorkel or not), cost (mine was $188), sound (sealed will be a little quieter) how it looks, and filter choice.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Don't waste your money. I have run two different CAI's on my 09 and they did not make a dang bit of difference, only noisier. I agree with those that say purchase a upgraded drop in filter.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

I say Volant for a number of reasons:

1. the filter is fairly well protected inside its airbox
2. you can add their snorkel eventually if you want
3. nice growl when you floor it
4. I bought mine used and used the money I saved to buy their performance filter that doesnt require cleaning and a pre filter for added protection against hydrolocking / dusty driving.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Banks CAI all the way
Old 04-17-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepjackal
Banks CAI all the way
I agree!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Airaid all the way, I have seen many and I like this one the best.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by reechee
I say Volant for a number of reasons:

1. the filter is fairly well protected inside its airbox
2. you can add their snorkel eventually if you want
3. nice growl when you floor it
4. I bought mine used and used the money I saved to buy their performance filter that doesnt require cleaning and a pre filter for added protection against hydrolocking / dusty driving.

Same here, except for the sound, which was not a factor for me. Got mine used and plan to get the higher-end filter and high-humidity protector. In my case I also added a tuning chip that gave a new life to my Jeep.

And adding that Volant's tech support is awesome.

Quick Reply: Which Cold Air intake!!