Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Cold Air intake!!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cold Air intake!!

Looking to get a cold air intake for my 6 speed. Everything else is stock (for now). Which one do you suggest for the best results?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by abailey
Looking to get a cold air intake for my 6 speed. Everything else is stock (for now). Which one do you suggest for the best results?
Save your money and buy a performance drop in filter. AFE or K&N.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Banks? k&n?

GO BANKS

i had the banks, and would def recommend it better than k&n.

lost a few bets on Football so my buddy made me a deal for it

later bought a used k&n setup lol, got a prefilter cuz i dont like the exposed deal...
Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

i made my own...got a spectre kit at auto zone, one 45 degree bend is all it has. nice conical lifetime filter on the end..all of the parts were included besides a usuable bracket. fabricated one myself, and it was a done deal. the only bitch was the temperature sensor..but after some silicon lube she came out. 65 bucks or so and its unbelieveable what an increase in power i got from JUST the intake before i got the exhaust. I don't worry about blocking it from getting hot air under the hood with any kind of box..HUGE improvement! if you want to just buy one though, banks is the way to go.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by saharastyle1354
i made my own...got a spectre kit at auto zone, one 45 degree bend is all it has. nice conical lifetime filter on the end..all of the parts were included besides a usuable bracket. fabricated one myself, and it was a done deal. the only bitch was the temperature sensor..but after some silicon lube she came out. 65 bucks or so and its unbelieveable what an increase in power i got from JUST the intake before i got the exhaust. I don't worry about blocking it from getting hot air under the hood with any kind of box..HUGE improvement! if you want to just buy one though, banks is the way to go.
im wanting to do a cold air first and i like the sound of what you did...anymore detail or pics would be appreciated if u have time....id love to get those benfits for 75 bucks...
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

ill get pics tomorrow! i had a friend help me who used to do the import thing quite a bit..he drives a niceeee maxima, but he built a sentra SE-R up that can run 11's on a 1/4 mile..he knows his shit, been into it his entire life. he told me we could come up with the same thing in no time, for not much dough..he was RIGHT! its not shielding away hot air but how that works is an opinion, and opinions are like assholes. everybody has one with all of the room in there it was the most simple air intake job i've ever seen/done. piece of cake!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go with banks...
Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blazenjeep420
Go with banks...
Banks is definitely a nice unit but wake me up when it makes more power than a drop in performance filter in the stock box which already flows more air than you would ever need.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks all. so some of you are saying just a simple performance drop in filter may be better than the whole cold air set up?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by abailey
Thanks all. so some of you are saying just a simple performance drop in filter may be better than the whole cold air set up?
I wouldn't go as far as better, but the difference isn't perceivable but may be somehow be measurable.

I have the Airaid intake and often switch back and forth with the stock air box. I can tell the difference between a paper filter in the stock air box and the Airaid intake, but using a K&N drop in filter in the stock air box I can't tell the difference. if I listen hard enough I could probably perceive a sound difference, and perhaps that's what many are associating with more power.

Quick Reply: Which Cold Air intake!!