Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coils, shocks, long arms, short arms, suspension lifts, coils lifts...

Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by veretas
So coils and springs are not the same? haha, Im a newbe. ...
Yeah they are the same. Your lift plan sound reasonable. I think you'll be quite pleased with the stance of new tires, wheels and a modest lift. This is mine with 33s and a 2.5" BB (on Poison Spider Mesa, one of the more difficult trails in Moab, UT):

Photo by Highrlr.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-12-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try that. The thing is, I dont want to be driving on the road with a suspension system set for offroad situations. i want to feel a good road ride too. Man these things are soooo slow. That must be why these jeeps are alwasy for sale- some people cant handle it.
You will find,as long as you adjust your caster right,most offroad lifts perform great on road!! Its when you disconnet the front swaybar off road to get better articulation!

I have the 3 1/2 rubicon express superfex with R.E. monotube shocks
and it handles,drives as good as stock on road.

! have 35x12.50x17 on 17x9 wheels.

Last edited by 08leocon; 10-12-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

there are tons of jeeps for sale, which is fine with me. truth be told, theres nothing like it. Starting a company with a convertable 4x4 with bells and whistles is prob a great idea. Jeep has no real competition for what it is.

So coils and springs are not the same? haha, Im a newbe. So keep the springs, get the 3 inch coils and new fitting shoxs, get the 34's with 17's and see how it all feels?
Yes coils and springs are the same, coil overs are not! get a 35 inche tire as mark was saying will end up close to a 34

If you have an auto, with a 3" lift you may or may not need to replace the front drive shaft, with my 3 1/2 i went ahead and did it.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Mark, is that your X with a BB and tires and wheels only?
08Leo, no pics?
Thanks, Im getting excited, as I have been given the feeling (after a month of forum reading) that a stock jeep would get me nowhere. I think Im starting to learn. We're all just Mod whores? lol
Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Mark, is that your X with a BB and tires and wheels only? ...
Well, and bumpers, sliders, etc. But, yes, just a 2.5" BB and 33x10.5" tires creating that stance and capability. Here are a few more pic's, including some when I had stock tires and no lift ...

Pretty much stock ...

Old 10-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Former Member

I would wait for Teraflex's 2.5" Long Arm kit and see what that looks like.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Well she looks great. Man I need to be in a different state. So you have a lift 2.5 but she probably sits at 1.5 above stock given the mod's? If so, how do you keep a true 3' when all is said and done, do I need a 4' lift only to really have a 3'??
Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Grav182, thats what Im having trouble with. I should get a long arm kit, but no coils or shox? So the coils and shox I have arent specifically built for the weight I have now? In other words, will the xuxpension be usless without getting one set for 3' or 2.5 etc?

Quick Reply: Coils, shocks, long arms, short arms, suspension lifts, coils lifts...