Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilovers vs springs/shocks

Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers vs springs/shocks

How many jku have coilover suspension and like it over traditional springs/gas shocks? Is it worth the money? Any better handling on and off road?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NDN_GREEN
How many jku have coilover suspension and like it over traditional springs/gas shocks?
I'm running the 12" Off Road Evolution valved King Coil Overs in front with their 2.5 Reservoir King Shocks in back. The difference between coil overs and traditional shocks is night and day.

Is it worth the money?
Definitely worth the money for the type of off roading I do which is high speed desert washes & washboards (whoops) and rock krawling.

Any better handling on and off road?
The amazing thing to me is that they handle awesome on road which was the biggest surprise to me...knew they'd be great off road filling holes but never imagined how well the on road ride was going to be. Eventually I plan to go with the coil overs on the rear as well because I know the ride is like floating on a cloud when you have them frt & rear.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

What's the rough cost for coils overs. Front n rear?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Takenithome
What's the rough cost for coils overs. Front n rear?
Too many options to say but you can take a look at ORE website to give you a ball park idea. I'd suggest calling them and talking to Mel about the type of off roading you do so you get the best setup for the trails you run.
http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...cts.php?cat=22
Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been thinking about getting them for awhile now, I swear like everyday I'm drooling on the ORE website, hahaa! I just wonder if I have to get a upgraded axle up front , I currently have a D30
Old 12-23-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the rock krawler coilover kit.. i love it . great ride
Old 12-23-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi

I've been thinking about getting them for awhile now, I swear like everyday I'm drooling on the ORE website, hahaa! I just wonder if I have to get a upgraded axle up front , I currently have a D30
I've got a friend who has been running it on a D30 for a few months now...he's not much into the rock krawling mostly high speed desert stuff but he recently upgraded to 37" Toyo's and he's looking at D44 assy's. So I guess it would depend on the type of off roading you do as well as the wheel & tire set up you plan to run.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

From what I understand, and please people correct me if I am wrong, the tubes and knuckles for the axles are the same. So if your thinking about if it will work in your D30 it will. Only problem with the D30 is gearing can not go above 5.13 and a lot of people want to run 5.38 on 37's or 40's.
If your going to go to 37's a D30 should not be any different than a 44 in strength, if your talking stock jk axles. You would want to sleeve and gusset the inner knuckle. Everyone I have spoke to has said to stay 37's or below unless your running a D60.
I hope this helps, and again I want people to correct me if I am at all wrong. This is just what almost everyone has told me as I am researching my build.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blockrockin
i have the rock krawler coilover kit.. i love it . great ride
which sytem is it? the stretch or just the 5.5?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

remember, you can fine tune, have the coil overs valved to fit your needs/wants.

Quick Reply: Coilovers vs springs/shocks