Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilovers on Teraflex 4" LCG

Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers on Teraflex 4" LCG

Since almost a year I have the Teraflex 4" LCG LA suspension under my JK with Bilstein shocks.
I'm completly satisfied with it , but thinking on to upgrade it with coilovers.
Is it possible to install these in combination with the Teraflex 4' LCG ???
And what do I need to complete this conversion ???

Thx.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc
Since almost a year I have the Teraflex 4" LCG LA suspension under my JK with Bilstein shocks.
I'm completly satisfied with it , but thinking on to upgrade it with coilovers.
Is it possible to install these in combination with the Teraflex 4' LCG ???
And what do I need to complete this conversion ???

Thx.
sure, you can do it but you need to be aware that the TF arms are not designed to withstand the increase in flex or, at least not very well. if you install a set of coil overs like the kind off road evolution offers, you will get 14" of travel and with it, you will risk blowing out your bushings.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
sure, you can do it but you need to be aware that the TF arms are not designed to withstand the increase in flex or, at least not very well. if you install a set of coil overs like the kind off road evolution offers, you will get 14" of travel and with it, you will risk blowing out your bushings.
Thats a good point... I personally don't have any experience with coilovers on the 4"TF, but I imagine, like with most, the rubber bushings are going to suffer with that much flex. I am assuming that some sort of mechanical joint is going to suite you better. Hopefully, you can get away with a single mechanical, and one rubber, as far as the frame and axle side are concerned and then maybe you can avoid some noise and vibration from a pure mechanical system. Any experience anywhere? Clearly, a pure mechanical system will suite you best, but that will transmit the most road noise and axle vibration...
Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get alot of flex out of my 3" teraflex LCG longarm kit, and I run shocks for a 4" kit on my suspension. The frame side bushing are not wearing, but they are actually sliding out of the arms from the flex. I'd like to switch to Evo's longarms, but wanted to look into using Evo's arms on Teraflex's frame mount brackets. But yeah like Eddie said, the bushings probably won't take the increased flex. The axle side joints are also a minor factor on my teraflex arms. I get enough flex that the joints max out, contact the control arm mount brakets, and apply enough force to loosen the jamnuts on the joints.

Last edited by highoctane; 12-13-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by highoctane
I get alot of flex out of my 3" teraflex LCG longarm kit, and I run shocks for a 4" kit on my suspension. The frame side bushing are not wearing, but they are actually sliding out of the arms from the flex. I'd like to switch to Evo's longarms, but wanted to look into using Evo's arms on Teraflex's frame mount brackets. But yeah like Eddie said, the bushings probably won't take the increased flex. The axle side joints are also a minor factor on my teraflex arms. I get enough flex that the joints max out, contact the control arm mount brakets, and apply enough force to loosen the jamnuts on the joints.
Thx for the answers, like I said I'm satisfied so maybe it's best to leave it this way and save the money for a Hemi conversion
Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Hmm...wondering if I should cut off the control arm ends with rubber bushings on my wife's TF long arm with 14" EVO coilovers with rear EVO-lever and replace them with flex joints or heims.

I know they do bind some. She has front limiting straps to prevent the front driveshaft from hitting the exhaust/crossmember, and EVO installed rear limiting straps with the original install.

I've seen a friend damage the TF long arm brackets running coilovers long enough for a 1300 rti on a 2 door.

Maybe I have another project this winter....
Maybe the limiting straps are helping you some. My Teraflex front frame side control arm brackets have two cracks coming from where the bolt hole is. I stop drilled it and it's stopped there. It's been hit with a tig weld to hold it. The rear when it flexes, an audible clunk can be heard when the joint reaches max misalignment, and the bushing gets worked, actually pulling it out of the arm. I removed the rear lowers once, pressed the bushings back in, and they both slid back out on the next trip Offroad, last month. I've seen rebel Offroad has modified Teraflex longarms, by cutting off the bushing end of the arm, welding bungs to the arm, and installing Johnny joints at the frame side. I'm considering that since it can't be to hard to do DIY.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by highoctane
Maybe the limiting straps are helping you some. My Teraflex front frame side control arm brackets have two cracks coming from where the bolt hole is. I stop drilled it and it's stopped there. It's been hit with a tig weld to hold it. The rear when it flexes, an audible clunk can be heard when the joint reaches max misalignment, and the bushing gets worked, actually pulling it out of the arm. I removed the rear lowers once, pressed the bushings back in, and they both slid back out on the next trip Offroad, last month. I've seen rebel Offroad has modified Teraflex longarms, by cutting off the bushing end of the arm, welding bungs to the arm, and installing Johnny joints at the frame side. I'm considering that since it can't be to hard to do DIY.
You'll need #4107132 Weldable Insert and #4116260 Large Flex Joint for that conversion. Maybe it is time for TeraFlex to come out with a coilover conversion kit.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
You'll need #4107132 Weldable Insert and #4116260 Large Flex Joint for that conversion. Maybe it is time for TeraFlex to come out with a coilover conversion kit.
Thanks! I'll def look into doing this change instead of dealing with the bushings.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Maybe it is time for TeraFlex to come out with a coilover conversion kit.
yes please....

Quick Reply: Coilovers on Teraflex 4" LCG