Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilovers Require A Long Arm Kit?

Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers Require A Long Arm Kit?

Hey guys looking at the Evo Coilover kits, and was wondering if I have to go with a long arm kit. I would like to set up my rig for more desert high speed stuff with some minor crawling. My thought was keeping it LCG, with coilovers, and a set of 35s.

So can I do coilovers first, and keep the lift between 2.5" - 3"? On Evo's site it reccomends 3" -5" of lift with aftermarket drive shafts for the JKU. So wasnt sure if that would work for me
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M3This
Hey guys looking at the Evo Coilover kits, and was wondering if I have to go with a long arm kit. I would like to set up my rig for more desert high speed stuff with some minor crawling. My thought was keeping it LCG, with coilovers, and a set of 35s.

So can I do coilovers first, and keep the lift between 2.5" - 3"? On Evo's site it reccomends 3" -5" of lift with aftermarket drive shafts for the JKU. So wasnt sure if that would work for me
Yes you can run the c/o without a Longarm setup. Not sure if you're referring to their bolt on kit or not but, I've been running evo c/o setup with a teraflex short arm setup for awhile. On the bolt on kit, I can tell you the rear setup with adjusters bottomed out runs a true 4"of lift on my 5800 lb rig. I'm running 37's with airbumps. I have heard they are now offering 10"coils in back for a lower height, but youd have to check. Just fyi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130727_231513.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	482392

Last edited by highwayman; 07-27-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Yep,you can run short or mid arms with coil overs.I just help a local JK'er swap his mid arm for some long arms which makes his jk ride awesome.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The benefit of a coilover is the ability to package a fair amount of travel into a small area when compared to a traditional coil and spring set up.

You dont need a long arm kit to run coilovers but doing so will help you take advantage of the additional travel that the coilover set up will offer compared to your current stock suspension.

With that said, for a go fast set up, I would personally invest in bypass shocks over coilovers. If a coilover is shimmed correctly for your vehicle, it will offer better performance over the shocks you are running but it wont match what a bypass can do. On top of that, with external bypass shocks you can dial them in for your exact vehicle and driving preference.

Just my opinion...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys for all the info

I will most likely go with a long arm set up later, but was hoping I could build on the system as the budget was there. So my goal was to do coilovers first then later on a long arm kit.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm doing the exact opposite, long arm first then coil overs down the road. There are a few people on the forums that have coil overs with short arms.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Yes, you sure can. I'm running the Bolt on Coilovers on my personal rig. The factory stuff will take a beating. You will need front lower adjustable control arms at a minimum. You will not lose any travel with short arms either.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-677781648.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	483098Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2789246227.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	483099Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3882464127.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	483101

If you want go fast, Go with the Double Throwdown System. Triple Bypass Shocks long with Coilovers. Of course it comes at a cost.

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 07-29-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Coilovers Require A Long Arm Kit?