Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilovers and daily driving.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, put too much in a sentence. Easiest way to put it would be the foam filled bumps are a step up from stock. IMHO they're for the guy not really clued in about keeping up with the minimal stuff airbumps need checked and/or cost of them. For the guy that doesn't really bomb the desert, those are fine.

Airbumps are the top. Hence you won't find foam filled airbumps on desert trucks. If bombing the desert is your plans, then airbumps are the only way to go, especially with these heavy JKs. If you can deal with the addl cost, some extra attn (some consider checking nitro pressures once in awhile a big deal) and youre a dual purpose Jeep that actually sees desert speed, you won't regret it. If slower speed stuff and smaller hits is all it sees then the foam filled ones are fine.

I like to play a lot in the desert and usually chasing my daughter in our built Ranger. Airbumps were the only way for me to go and made my heavy JK feel like it lost some serious weight.

Just my two cents. Feel free to pm if you want addl info.

Last edited by highwayman; 05-12-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayman
Yeah, put too much in a sentence. Easiest way to put it would be the foam filled bumps are a step up from stock. IMHO they're for the guy not really clued in about keeping up with the minimal stuff airbumps need checked and/or cost of them. For the guy that doesn't really bomb the desert, those are fine.

Airbumps are the top. Hence you won't find foam filled airbumps on desert trucks. If bombing the desert is your plans, then airbumps are the only way to go, especially with these heavy JKs. If you can deal with the addl cost, some extra attn (some consider checking nitro pressures once in awhile a big deal) and youre a dual purpose Jeep that actually sees desert speed, you won't regret it. If slower speed stuff and smaller hits is all it sees then the foam filled ones are fine.

I like to play a lot in the desert and usually chasing my daughter in our built Ranger. Airbumps were the only way for me to go and made my heavy JK feel like it lost some serious weight.

Just my two cents. Feel free to pm if you want addl info.
Thanks a lot for the elaboration

I post this and do not send a PM, because I guess others, too, would like to see the following.

I was hoping that some hi-tech closed-cell material would give the advantages of compressed air, without any maintenance. The price of the Teraflex B.S. suggests good quality.

I called a friend, the 4x4 shop owner who installed my lift. We've offroaded together a few times, and discussed Jeeps "from wall to wall", but I didn't know that he has the Teraflex SpeedBump bump stops on his highly modded Hemi driven Jeep...
He does things that I don't, such as spending much of his time over sand dunes in the air. I suggested that he takes flying lessons
His Teraflex BSs are working, without a problem, for 2 years of pretty wild offroading.

So, my conclusion is… to install… Fox air bump stops...

First, if the 'bubble' material that Teraflex use could really equal air BS, we would have seen it in racing, but the most common BSs for racing are Fox or King.
Secondly, I already have Fox shocks and steering stabilizer, I see first-hand how good they are on my Jeep and on friends' Jeeps, and learned to trust this company.

As for maintenance, it's not a bother.
Checking the pressure when I drop by for routine service is all that's needed.
I'm at the 4x4 shop about twice a year anyway, if not for service than for just checking that everything is properly tightened – and I've just learned that my friend is equipped for Nitrogen pressurizing.

What finally locked the decision to get the Fox BSs, is that I can get 'em with a great discount. The Teraflex would cost me more.

Cheers

Last edited by GJeep; 05-14-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good call on the airbumps!

Quick Reply: Coilovers and daily driving.