Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilovers and daily driving.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 AM
CT2
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you get more flex by swapping to coilovers...if using the same length shock travel.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Coilovers are awesome both on and off road. Make sure you get control arms with Johnnie joints though as you will blow out the bushings on other control arms with all the flex you have.
If you're referring to factory clevite bushings, sure. But you can run the majority of arms that come with any quality joint, Johnny joint, MC's duro flex, RK krawler joints, heims, ballistic joints, etc. at least on one end of the arm.

Originally Posted by CT2
How do you get more flex by swapping to coilovers...if using the same length shock travel.
Generally speaking, it's hard to stuff a 12" shock into factory brackets and not limit your up travel substantially. So you may not gain more total travel with a coilover, but you can custom tailor your up travel and down travel ratios a little better, keep your rig lower, more stable, etc. however if you're going to go thru the effort of CO's, go 14's up front.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayman
BB, yep. Those are the ones I'm running. In conjunction with airbumps & teraflex arms (8).

Attachment 455869
that looks great. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the bolt-on kit.
Is there a significant benefit over my coils and shocks when at higher speeds on rough trails?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbrown626

that looks great. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on the bolt-on kit.
Is there a significant benefit over my coils and shocks when at higher speeds on rough trails?
As opposed to? Coilovers? I was running fox 2.0 remote resis and aev coils previously. Also ran the foxs with teraflex coils. No comparision between the 2. Coilovers are the way to go on road and off. Especially high speed stuff. If high speed off-road is also in the plan, airbumps frt and rr are the only way to go.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....Coilovers are the way to go on road and off. Especially high speed stuff. If high speed off-road is also in the plan, airbumps frt and rr are the only way to go.
Would you say that the air bump stops (e.g. Fox) have an advantage over the Teraflex "cell micro-cellular polyurethane... maintenance free" bump stops?

Last edited by GJeep; 05-11-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJeep

Would you say that the air bump stops (e.g. Fox) have an advantage over the Teraflex "cell micro-cellular polyurethane... maintenance free" bump stops?

FOX -- http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod...roductID/56209

TERAFLEX -- | TeraFlex Suspensions
Depends on you and driving. If you're not one that likes to keep up on checking pressures once in awhile, or really take continuous fast/hard hits then the other options should be fine. I also enjoy desert runs, in addition to the slow rock stuff. Airbumps were the way to go for me. Way more work for airbumps though, so you'd have to make that decision on your needs. I'm running Fox too, though in the back I ran the 2.5 bodies for space constraints and modified em to a 2" stroke for a little addl suspension uptravel out back before bumping into the bumpstop. Made for a better DD. Good luck, bud.

Last edited by highwayman; 05-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

Depends on you and driving. If you're not one that likes to keep up on checking pressures once in awhile, or really take continuous fast/hard hits then the other options should be fine. I also enjoy desert runs, in addition to the slow rock stuff. Airbumps were the way to go for me.
Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand some of what you say:
"If you're not one that likes to keep up on checking pressures once in awhile, or really take continuous fast/hard hits then the other options should be fine."
I understand this as - 'For both service-free AND frequent hard hits, the Teraflex is better' - right ?

I, too, sprint offroad. I'd prefer maintenance-free, but not if the Teraflex doesn't absorb hits as well as the fox.

Also, how often should the pressure in the Fox be checked? Just after rough rides, or periodically?

Thinking of it, the Teraflex is actually based on air compression as well -- as the compressed material is made of closed cells that contain air.

Last edited by GJeep; 05-11-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As opposed to? Coilovers? I was running fox 2.0 remote resis and aev coils previously. Also ran the foxs with teraflex coils. No comparision between the 2. Coilovers are the way to go on road and off. Especially high speed stuff. If high speed off-road is also in the plan, airbumps frt and rr are the only way to go.
I presently have the Teraflex coils and Bilsten 5100 shocks. Factory bump stops.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

If you read off road magazine the used some poly filled bumps and after couple months of use some of the cellular disc inside where flattened. They ended up taken off for air bumps. I've never used either so I'm just quoting what i read
Old 05-11-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
If you read off road magazine the used some poly filled bumps and after couple months of use some of the cellular disc inside where flattened. They ended up taken off for air bumps. I've never used either so I'm just quoting what i read
Hmmm... worth checking before I decide...

It would be interesting to see what Teraflex have to say about this.

Quick Reply: Coilovers and daily driving.