Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilovers benefit or not?

Old 09-20-2015, 11:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BeachJK
Can't weld :(, got to cut a lot too. Probably wind up paying to cut and weld and get 14" travel instead of 12"
I know three people with the EVO bolt-on setup. They all regretted it. Two ditched it all together and went to weld-on brackets and the other is swapping this winter.

There is no logic to dropping that much money for 12" of travel. They shoe horned a setup into the JK. Do it right or don't do it. Ask me about it. I went from lift to lift. $250 budget boost to $4k Gamechanger. A $2k kit is max performance until you get into serious fab. Is what it is. Your money.

You can probably get a Wayalife sticker for free, without buying anything.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I know three people with the EVO bolt-on setup. They all regretted it. Two ditched it all together and went to weld-on brackets and the other is swapping this winter. There is no logic to dropping that much money for 12" of travel. They shoe horned a setup into the JK. Do it right or don't do it. Ask me about it. I went from lift to lift. $250 budget boost to $4k Gamechanger. A $2k kit is max performance until you get into serious fab. Is what it is. Your money. You can probably get a Wayalife sticker for free, without buying anything.
Any particular brackets or 14" coilovers you suggest? I have the RK long arm kit
Old 09-21-2015, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been eyeing the double throwdown from evo for some time now. I spend most of my time in sand dunes and the whoops just kill me. I'd love to be able to cruise the dunes above crawling speed and the DTD claims to fit the bill. What are your opinions on this? Would it just be better to go with a long arm upgrade or a 4 link instead of worrying about coilovers? I guess I don't have the experience to know one way or another what is truly needed for higher speeds off road.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are some better shots of how I installed my 14" 2.0's. With some more cutting, moving the fusebox and battery, a 16" would fit no problem. The worst part of the whole thing was cutting off the old coil spring crap.

Brackets are 12" cut down to 9" from ruffstuff.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BeachJK
Any particular brackets or 14" coilovers you suggest? I have the RK long arm kit
I run ORI struts, so not the guy to ask in terms of coilovers. As for brackets, that is up to you. There are a number of company's that make weld on brackets for the JK, except they all do pretty much the same thing. They will all try and fit under what is shown in the pictures in the post above. If that works for you, then no issue. For me (partly due to running 16s) is that I don't want much lift, but I also want good uptravel. So, I moved everything and ran my towers almost even with the top of the body.

The towers are from TMR Customs and were the tallest I could find. In hindsight, I wish I had made my own hoops, but that is just for my personal preference.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Blizz
I've been eyeing the double throwdown from evo for some time now. I spend most of my time in sand dunes and the whoops just kill me. I'd love to be able to cruise the dunes above crawling speed and the DTD claims to fit the bill. What are your opinions on this? Would it just be better to go with a long arm upgrade or a 4 link instead of worrying about coilovers? I guess I don't have the experience to know one way or another what is truly needed for higher speeds off road.
The shock setup is pretty important, and expensive. As you see on the EVO, you are running a coilover and a triple bypass shock. A single coilover can't absorb enough energy for high speed driving.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I know three people with the EVO bolt-on setup. They all regretted it. Two ditched it all together and went to weld-on brackets and the other is swapping this winter.

There is no logic to dropping that much money for 12" of travel. They shoe horned a setup into the JK. Do it right or don't do it. Ask me about it. I went from lift to lift. $250 budget boost to $4k Gamechanger. A $2k kit is max performance until you get into serious fab. Is what it is. Your money.

You can probably get a Wayalife sticker for free, without buying anything.
Out of curiosity, why did they ditch the set up? On road ride, something else?

I was thinking of either going with their bolt on set up, or spending $2500 (Keeping my coils) and going with the Fox Internal Bypass 2.5. My wheels/Tires are so heavy, for street driving alone I need a better shock for control (I wheel 1-2 times a month). What say you sir?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

With triple bypass you would be running a coil carrier shock with no valving.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LifeAsRob
I have a 3" teraflex lift with 35s and I was thinking of coilovers. however I have no idea what they are or the benefit to them and if they are added on to your lift or not. being this is a forum and im still new at this educate me. I love learning. Thanks guys cheers
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know what they are why do you even want them?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Javelin
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know what they are why do you even want them?
I have been wondering the same thing the whole time I have been reading this thread....

Quick Reply: Coilovers benefit or not?