Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scemracing
Yes it does depend on limit straps and bumpstops but if setup correctly you can get X" amount of travel is what they are saying. I think it has to do with the kits that mount the coilovers at an angle on the rear. 12" of travel coilovers will not have 12" travel if they are mounted at say a 30 degree angle you will have less plus this also messes with how the valving and springs are setup because as the axle goes up one inch the coilovers do not compress one inch they compress less so you have to compensate for that. As the shock compresses it changes that angle from 30-40 degrees now you springs and valving are changing as the coilover travels up. With the EVO rear bolt on they actually had King make custom coilovers for that application they are not an of the shelf coilover it sits in the stock shock location which keeps its angle to minimum and also keeps it from changing that much as it travels.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Alright so what would be the difference in the front setups of the rebel offroad and the bolt on evo? The both sit about the same and are very similar setups.
One is just a company that many clearly are bias about which they do make good products but nobody has really seen the real facts on the differences. WOL stated something but that doesnt mean its always true. I dont see how one setup only runs 9.5" inches of travel and the other is 12. I understand that angles will make a difference but in the front not that much. Im an engineering major and a 5 degree angle wouldnt change the hypotenuse of a triangle being the coilover difference that much.Now in the rear yes because they are at a steeper angle
Old 06-25-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Will the bolt on kit from evo be offered without shocks? I saw on the site that it is sold with the kings but was curious if there would be another option w/o shocks
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
Alright so what would be the difference in the front setups of the rebel offroad and the bolt on evo? The both sit about the same and are very similar setups.
One is just a company that many clearly are bias about which they do make good products but nobody has really seen the real facts on the differences. WOL stated something but that doesnt mean its always true. I dont see how one setup only runs 9.5" inches of travel and the other is 12. I understand that angles will make a difference but in the front not that much. Im an engineering major and a 5 degree angle wouldnt change the hypotenuse of a triangle being the coilover difference that much.Now in the rear yes because they are at a steeper angle
I was talking about the rear I have no idea about the front it should have the same travel as the EVO setup unless there is something stopping it from traveling 12". From pictures the only thing I can see is it kinda looks like the EVO coilover sits up higher which means lower center of gravity but I think the main thing travel wise is the rear.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool thread! Ive always wondered about this.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

It's not located in the same position, we're using proprietary shocks built for us to achieve the travel.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
It's not located in the same position, we're using proprietary shocks built for us to achieve the travel.

How does a proprietary shock change travel if both coilovers are 12". They still both max out at 12" of travel?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife

OMG!!! Aren't those like 40's?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

How does a proprietary shock change travel if both coilovers are 12". They still both max out at 12" of travel?
The 12's might be the same but the other company says you can't do 14" coilovers and EVO does it so maybe thats what they mean?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scemracing
The 12's might be the same but the other company says you can't do 14" coilovers and EVO does it so maybe thats what they mean?
rebel says you can do 14" coilovers...
they are running 14" ones on there own jk and it seems fine?
i would just think the fronts would be the same almost besides having a double throwdown which would be for better ride and offroad feeling.
but in travel sense i would think the front would be similar.
NOW the rear is no comparison for sure... The cantilever is the way to go like someone said above. it creates a straight coilover with a cantilever pushing down on the axle.
I have been studying this stuff using my notes from vector statics and physics
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

rebel says you can do 14" coilovers...
they are running 14" ones on there own jk and it seems fine?
i would just think the fronts would be the same almost besides having a double throwdown which would be for better ride and offroad feeling.
but in travel sense i would think the front would be similar.
NOW the rear is no comparison for sure... The cantilever is the way to go like someone said above. it creates a straight coilover with a cantilever pushing down on the axle.
I have been studying this stuff using my notes from vector statics and physics
I was just on there website is states that 14's only work on there rear kit that you have to cut holes in the tub.

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift