Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're into prerunning, and have coilovers up front - the best way to "balance" things is to put coilovers in the rear too.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonwhln

Thank you for the shoot down of my kit, which does more than 9" of travel coupled with my other components....

Like alot of people here, I cannot afford evo's prices and look for quality kits elsewhere.

evo makes a very nice kit but I think this one works quite well:
You're right!!! They look like they work quite well to me too
Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I was checking out the EVO stuff since it was brought up so much, is that the rear kit they show as I think the LCG rear kit? Or something to that effect?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

I am 1 month away from pulling the trigger on some coilovers. I am still not sure on tire size 37-40"s and axles PR44 or 60's it is a big jump in price to run with the big boys! So with that said looking at my budget/bonus schedule I have to buy coilovers first and I am having a hard time deciding between the new bolt on EVO kit and the weld on/EVOlever setup? Is there any reason I should go with the bolt on kit or just say F-it and get the 14" setup?

I know I need to talk to EVO on this subject also and I would probably get more responses from starting my own thread and I just may have to do that.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

I'd suggest reading the press release thread
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...236236/page17/
There has been a lot of great questions similar to yours. In short though is all about budget and what you will use it for. The EVOlever rear will allow you to also run bypass shock which gives a lot more performance for running fast and give you instant tunability. But it's quite a bit more money and install time. Same goes for the front. If you only plan on single shock or on limited budget the bolt on sounds like the winner.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nevesjk06
Okay I was checking out the EVO stuff since it was brought up so much, is that the rear kit they show as I think the LCG rear kit? Or something to that effect?
EVO mfg sells two coilover setups:
1-The brand new, lower priced, entry level, bolt-on kit for front and rear. As it is sold, you simply bolt it on to existing mounting points on the JK and you are then provided with all the benefits of coilovers- adjustability of ride height, as well as tunability of your ride, and much increased articulation of travel (up to 12").
2-The original EVO front coilover and rear EVO lever setup that the shop really emphasizes having welded on as opposed to bolted-on. This system is also upgradable to the Double Throw Down setup which adds an additional 3-way bypass (or triple bypass) shock at each corner alongside the remote reservoir coilover, for a total of 8 shocks being run.

Both systems listed above provide industry leading ability to have the absolute Lowest Center of Gravity (LCG) which equates to a vehicle having the lowest possible ride height for running big tires.

Originally Posted by scemracing
I am 1 month away from pulling the trigger on some coilovers. I am still not sure on tire size 37-40"s and axles PR44 or 60's it is a big jump in price to run with the big boys! So with that said looking at my budget/bonus schedule I have to buy coilovers first and I am having a hard time deciding between the new bolt on EVO kit and the weld on/EVOlever setup? Is there any reason I should go with the bolt on kit or just say F-it and get the 14" setup?

I know I need to talk to EVO on this subject also and I would probably get more responses from starting my own thread and I just may have to do that.

Thanks in advance!
The two kits- the new bolt-on, and the original weld on front and EVO lever rear, are two totally different kits. They share similar concepts of what coilovers can deliver in offroad and on road performance, but at two different price points. The subject matter experts at the moment are Wayolife and Mr Mel Wade (EVO mfg/Off Road Evolution owner). The systems are both leaps and bounds better than any other traditional coil setup or coilover kit for JK's. However, each EVO setup offers a totally different level of performance and that's obviously what the money is going to buy you. If you want big flex, ultimate tunability, great high speed Offroad performance for big bumps and jumps, the EVO Double Throw Down is your setup. It's professional grade equipment at pro level pricing.

The new bolt-on kit will get you performance above and beyond the standard coil lifts without a problem. It's meant to be an affordable, entry level high performance set up. It's really the answer for about 90% of the Offroaders out there.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by scemracing

Thanks in advance!
You can not compare the Bolt on Coilover kit to the EVOlever with double throwdowns. The Bolt on kit is an entry level system. Its nice and will out perform every coilover suspension kit on the market. Its not on the same level as the EVOlever system. Please give us a call. We would be happy to help you decided on which fits your needs and budget
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
The new EVO bolt on coil over system will most likely be available for around $3500. Also, I never said anyone's product was shitty, I simply pointed out what I have seen and that's one kit offers only 9.5" of vertical travel and another offers 14" and still another offers 12". Take from that what you will but those are the facts and they can be proven. Again, just because people dont like what they're hearing doesn't mean I am bashing anything. But, I'm sure people will believe what ever it is they want to believe
How is one kit limited to only 9 inches of travel and the other to 12?
Would it not be all based on what limits the coilovers meaning bumpstops and limiting straps?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
You can not compare the Bolt on Coilover kit to the EVOlever with double throwdowns. The Bolt on kit is an entry level system. Its nice and will out perform every coilover suspension kit on the market. Its not on the same level as the EVOlever system. Please give us a call. We would be happy to help you decided on which fits your needs and budget

I don't think I have the budget for DTD it would be the single coil EVOlever and single weld on front coilover. I was thinking about doing the DTD weld on tower in the front so I can add the bypass shock at a latter date. I do not know if you can do the same in the rear. I will give you guys a call a little bit closer to bonus time 33 days and counting!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
How is one kit limited to only 9 inches of travel and the other to 12?
Would it not be all based on what limits the coilovers meaning bumpstops and limiting straps?

Yes it does depend on limit straps and bumpstops but if setup correctly you can get X" amount of travel is what they are saying. I think it has to do with the kits that mount the coilovers at an angle on the rear. 12" of travel coilovers will not have 12" travel if they are mounted at say a 30 degree angle you will have less plus this also messes with how the valving and springs are setup because as the axle goes up one inch the coilovers do not compress one inch they compress less so you have to compensate for that. As the shock compresses it changes that angle from 30-40 degrees now you springs and valving are changing as the coilover travels up. With the EVO rear bolt on they actually had King make custom coilovers for that application they are not an of the shelf coilover it sits in the stock shock location which keeps its angle to minimum and also keeps it from changing that much as it travels.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift