Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
most of ride comfort comes from tire psi and the spring rate of the coils you run. if you think you have a rough ride now, you may be running too much air in your tires and/or have coils that are on the firm side.
im running proper air pressure in both sets of my tires. it just the damn bilsteins im sure. a lot of people that ive read use them all say roughly the same thing, they provide a pretty "rough" ride.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by damon.l
im running proper air pressure in both sets of my tires. it just the damn bilsteins im sure. a lot of people that ive read use them all say roughly the same thing, they provide a pretty "rough" ride.
a lot of people that i've read who use them all run coils that are on the firm side. i can assure you that if you were to run your bilsteins with a softer coil, you wouldn't be so sure of them being the cause of your "rough" ride.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by damon.l

I am with ya I messed with my tire pressure I was running 30psi with my 35's and I am at 28psi with my 37's. I had some different shocks on my RK lift for the first couple days because my shocks didn't come in on time and the ride is completely different I really didn't think the shocks would make that big of a difference but they sure did. I wouldn't say it is a bad ride more like a firm sports car kind of ride (not that any of our Jeeps are anything close to a sports cars
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scemracing
I am with ya I messed with my tire pressure I was running 30psi with my 35's and I am at 28psi with my 37's. I had some different shocks on my RK lift for the first couple days because my shocks didn't come in on time and the ride is completely different I really didn't think the shocks would make that big of a difference but they sure did. I wouldn't say it is a bad ride more like a firm sports car kind of ride (not that any of our Jeeps are anything close to a sports cars
i can only assume you were running crappy hydro shocks and if so, yeah, a set of monotubes will give you a different ride. however, a sports car like ride is far from being a "rough" ride that you still don't like as damon.l specifically stated. if you've ever run different coils with different springs rates, you would know where i'm coming from.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

i can only assume you were running crappy hydro shocks and if so, yeah, a set of monotubes will give you a different ride. however, a sports car like ride is far from being a "rough" ride that you still don't like as damon.l specifically stated. if you've ever run different coils with different springs rates, you would know where i'm coming from.
You are right I should have said a firm ride! I really don't like it after riding in a Jeep with coilovers.

You are also right about the shocks.

I am sold after driving my friends Jeep that we put the EVO bolt on kit on yesterday.

Good lord I am sore though lol!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

it may be the springs i have as well, who knows.

ill be going coilover eventually anyway, be it evo's bolt on or other kit, so im just dealing with it as of now.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

don't know who you've been talking to but clearly, they are people who either don't have coil overs on their JK or, are running a kit not made by off road evolution.

coil over pros:
• offers superior flex - as much as 14" of vertical travel
• offers superior absorbsion from high speed hits
• when dialed in properly - will offer superior ON ROAD performance and comfort
• fully adjustable (including ride height) and completely rebuildable
• valving can be set and adjusted to meet your ride quality standards
• 2 separate spring rates can be selected to help provide ride comfort and weight carring capacity
• can be run with additional triple bypass shocks to significantly increase high speed desert driving

coil over cons:
• with the exception of the new off road evoultion bolt on coil over system, they can be very expensive
• requires periodic maintenance that should be done by the manufacturer
What kind of maintenance?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The seals will need to be replaced when worn out, this is a general maintenance item and should wear like any other shock. With the right tools you can rebuild shocks yourself as well as re-valve. A seal kit is in the $20-$30 range.

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift