Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 08-13-2012, 03:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2

Did you read the entire thread because I see it the other way around. The guy, scemracing, that Wayolife was responding to in the last couple of postings was really coming across as trolling for an argument. All the answers to scemracing's questions had already been covered in earlier post or in the main thread for EVO LCG bolt on system, and I'm betting scemracing has probably read through that one, going off his peaked interest in the system. If you knew Wayolife on a personal level, I bet you might change your mind
But you know, we all may be wrong since its the Internet and not tv, it's kind of hard to judge emotions without the use of handy little emoticons
I am really not trolling for an argument I really just want to see pics.

I have not read through the whole main thread for the coilovers I have read some of it.

I installed the front bolt-on kit yesterday and we didn't get time to flex it out I was more asking about the rears.

I don't have a negative opinion of the EVO kit. I used to write manuals when I worked on military vehicles and it was just an after thought for this kit. They seem to be an after thought for most jeep products though.

I asked about the rockstars you could have just said yes you do or no you don't :(

Well since this thread isn't going anywhere I will be moving on. Sorry if anybody thought I was attacking them it wasn't my intention.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by inspect-a-home
just installed today with help from a couple guys, let me say this...this kit is badass, period! this is just the fronts installed and the flex was pretty impressive. There is 36 1/2" under that raised 35" tire. I think it would easily go to 40" when the rears are installed.

i really wish i wasnt stuck at work and could have came and hung out.

you are doing the rears this coming up weekend still? if so the wife and i will def come over and hang out / help / visit. it'd be nice to see you guys again.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scemracing
I used to write manuals when I worked on military vehicles and it was just an after thought for this kit. They seem to be an after thought for most jeep products though.
i will say the manuals ive seen from ORE, they are kinda meh. the get the job done but they are definately nothing fancy. a good installer can figure em out, but i think they do need some polish work with better pics.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
just to see how low you can go, yes, we were able to set the evo bolt on coil overs to 2.5" of lift. but, to be fair, i would only recommend this extremely low setting for daily driving and flexing on the trail. if you intend to drive hard and fast in the desert, you will want to set the coil overs up to 3.5" to help eat up the bumps. this is what we currently have our dozer JK setup at and it works great.
me personally, 2.5 would be great. i dont do any high speed driving, just around town and then rocks.

i may try 3.5 just for fun and see how i like it, but i have yet to have a real problem with hanging up on the belly over rocks and such, my problem is always the rear diff. and with smoother, more comfortable coils i may want to drive faster on trails too!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

I was impressed by how nice the coilovers ride in my buddy's jeep they just soak up the bumps you could still feel bumps through the rear suspension though. Plus they look sick!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

"soft" and "soak up" is something in not used to. my bilstien 5100s are a bit of a rough ride. ive gotten used to it but still dont like it.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by damon.l
"soft" and "soak up" is something in not used to. my bilstien 5100s are a bit of a rough ride. ive gotten used to it but still dont like it.
I know that's how I feel about my 5100's also. I couldn't believe how much of a difference the coilovers made. I will tell you what I sure am sore after working on it yesterday! When I get coilovers I will be driving to my brother-in-laws to use his lift!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertRat_Rubi08
Why do u condescend your users? As a reader, its disappointing.
don't like what i have to say, nobody is making you stay.

I am really not trolling for an argument I really just want to see pics...

...I installed the front bolt-on kit yesterday and we didn't get time to flex it out I was more asking about the rears.
so install the rest of the kit and take your own.

I have not read through the whole main thread for the coilovers I have read some of it.
clearly

I don't have a negative opinion of the EVO kit. I used to write manuals when I worked on military vehicles and it was just an after thought for this kit. They seem to be an after thought for most jeep products though.

I asked about the rockstars you could have just said yes you do or no you don't :(
i have to say that i am troubled that you would have to ask a question like this especially being that you are someone who would wear on your shirt sleeves the fact that you used to write manuals for military vehicles you worked on. but, to answer your question, no, you don't "need" to install them but, most people are eager to even if they don't have this kit as they provide considerably more clearance and are armored up. of course, if you want your coil overs to hang down way low at factory height and act as a rock target, it's your jeep and you are welcome to do what you want with it.

Last edited by wayoflife; 08-13-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by damon.l
most of ride comfort comes from tire psi and the spring rate of the coils you run. if you think you have a rough ride now, you may be running too much air in your tires and/or have coils that are on the firm side.

I know that's how I feel about my 5100's also. I couldn't believe how much of a difference the coilovers made. I will tell you what I sure am sore after working on it yesterday! When I get coilovers I will be driving to my brother-in-laws to use his lift!
coil overs use 2 different springs and both of which are way softer than a standard coil. this is where most of the difference you are feeling comes from.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

This wasn't my kit. He only bought the fronts.

Thank you for answering the question about the rockstars.

Have a good day.

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift