Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 08-11-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2

Seems like a waste of money to purchase either system if it's going to be used to drive onto rocks in moms front yard
Well I live in the Midwest so I take what I can get when comes to going off-road.

My job doesn't let me get to the off-road parks near as much as I would like!

Last edited by scemracing; 08-11-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Seems like a waste of money to purchase either system if it's going to be used to drive onto rocks in moms front yard
oh, zing.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scemracing
Well I live in the Midwest so I take what I can get when comes to going off-road.

My job doesn't let me get to the off-road parks near as much as I would like!
Haha! I'm with you brother, if I could wheel everyday or even every weekend, I would but I work a full time job to pay for my full time dream of wheeling for a living one day
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by damon.l
eddie, if you dont mind correct me if i am wrong, but the rear of the evo bolt on kit yileds 11.25'' versus the 9'' that rebel showed out back? im pretty good with reading comprehension but thats a massive difference and pretty impressive on evo's part if i did read and understand correctly.
yes, this is correct. from a full bump to a full droop, the evo kit yields 11.25" of vertical travel.

i also saw somewhere you can set it at 2.5'' of lift. that is EXCELLENT because thats what i have now and dont need / want to go any higher.
just to see how low you can go, yes, we were able to set the evo bolt on coil overs to 2.5" of lift. but, to be fair, i would only recommend this extremely low setting for daily driving and flexing on the trail. if you intend to drive hard and fast in the desert, you will want to set the coil overs up to 3.5" to help eat up the bumps. this is what we currently have our dozer JK setup at and it works great.

evo's bolt on kit seems to be an absolutely excellent performer for the money. i was gearing up to go with the weld in kit and evolever, but pricing it out with the labor needed to install, my budget really says bolt on.
for the money, you really can't beat all that you get with the evo bolt on coil over kit.

Eddie/EVO has yet to actually prove the 11.25" of travel! I don't believe everything I see on the internet so pics would be nice!
so don't believe anything that i've said and spend your money however you want. up until recently, rebel was suggesting that you would get 12" of vertical travel just because they use 12" coil overs. clearly, that isn't true and, in the process of trying to call me out for putting out false information, they've now been forced to admit as much.

I know Eddie said that it would be false advertising but doesn't travel depend on a lot of different factors? Like tire size, fenders, and bumpstops?
don't know where you learned that from but, that's not true at all. vertical travel is vertical travel and there's only one way to determine as much - a full bump to full droop measurement from the bump stop pad on the axle or bump stop extension to the fully compressed bump stop pad or air bump on the frame.

So Eddie your saying that everyone who puts the EVO bolt on kit on will have 11.25" of travel in the rear?
funny, i don't think i stutter. READ the thread and find your answers there.

Rebel was kind enough to get out the tape measure and show us the flex on there kit why can't you or EVO do that same? It is a tape measure and you seem to offroad all the time so is it really that hard? You talk up the EVO kit so much and the off-roading pics are nice but I want to see comparable pics to what Rebel Off-road put up.
apparently, you have mistaken me for someone who has something to prove. for all i care, you can believe whatever you want to believe and buy whatever you want to buy.

Doesn't the EVO kit require you to modify the Jeep to a point that is can not be taken back to stock? I am just trying to get all the facts before I fork off that kind of cash.
clearly, you do not read anything in a thread before posting up a question.

Last edited by wayoflife; 08-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

just installed today with help from a couple guys, let me say this...this kit is badass, period! this is just the fronts installed and the flex was pretty impressive. There is 36 1/2" under that raised 35" tire. I think it would easily go to 40" when the rears are installed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	evo 4.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	353605   Click image for larger version

Name:	evo 5.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	353606   Click image for larger version

Name:	evo 7.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	353607   Click image for larger version

Name:	evo 6.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	353608  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Wow! You respond like everyone is out to get you?

I didn't say you said anything false I just asked you to prove the amount of travel you stated! You push the EVO kit yet you won't show us how good the kit is?

You say you have nothing to prove then why call out other companies?

I am pretty sure the rear bolt on kit comes with EVO Rockstars do you or do you not have to cut the stock shock mount off to install these?

Did you install your EVO kit?

Just wondering cause I installed one today and it didn't include all needed hardware (no swaybar bolts/nuts). Oh and a list of tools needed would have been nice so we didn't need to go to the store halfway through the install to get a 15/16" wrench. The brackets were missing powder coating when we pulled them out of the box.

We got it installed
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inspect-a-home
just installed today with help from a couple guys, let me say this...this kit is badass, period! this is just the fronts installed and the flex was pretty impressive. There is 36 1/2" under that raised 35" tire. I think it would easily go to 40" when the rears are installed.
Is that with Stock Lower Front Control Arms? I noticed like me you have not upgraded to long arm yet. I have the coil overs on order now, and would like to save the money I would spend on Adjustable Control Arms to invest into a long arm kit down the road a few months if possible.

I ask this because Chris from Offroad Evolution stated in Press Release thread that adjustable lower control arms are needed at a min, but I did not see this on the website.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by inspect-a-home
Looking good!!

Wow! You respond like everyone is out to get you?

I didn't say you said anything false I just asked you to prove the amount of travel you stated!
wow! since you seemed to have missed it, i said you can believe whatever you want to believe.

You push the EVO kit yet you won't show us how good the kit is?
oh, i get it, everyone and their mother can enthusiastically talk about the lift kit they have but, if i do, i'm somehow "pushing" it.

You say you have nothing to prove then why call out other companies?
ummm - if you actually took the time to READ through the whole thread before shooting off your mouth, you would know that it was "other companies" who tried calling me out for stating what i've seen.

I am pretty sure the rear bolt on kit comes with EVO Rockstars do you or do you not have to cut the stock shock mount off to install these?
honestly, if you really need to ask that question, you really shouldn't buy this kit or work on a jeep.

Did you install your EVO kit?

Just wondering cause I installed one today and it didn't include all needed hardware (no swaybar bolts/nuts). Oh and a list of tools needed would have been nice so we didn't need to go to the store halfway through the install to get a 15/16" wrench. The brackets were missing powder coating when we pulled them out of the box.

We got it installed
LOL!! i get it now - you're a guy who already has a negative opinion about the evo kit and were just playing dumb this whole time. well, if you really have installed one of these kits, you have all the answers and proof you need right in front of your face.

Last edited by wayoflife; 08-12-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why do u condescend your users? As a reader, its disappointing.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DesertRat_Rubi08
Why do u condescend your users? As a reader, its disappointing.
Did you read the entire thread because I see it the other way around. The guy, scemracing, that Wayolife was responding to in the last couple of postings was really coming across as trolling for an argument. All the answers to scemracing's questions had already been covered in earlier post or in the main thread for EVO LCG bolt on system, and I'm betting scemracing has probably read through that one, going off his peaked interest in the system. If you knew Wayolife on a personal level, I bet you might change your mind
But you know, we all may be wrong since its the Internet and not tv, it's kind of hard to judge emotions without the use of handy little emoticons

Last edited by GCM 2; 08-13-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift