Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you get 12" of travel with the EVO 12" coilovers and 14" with there 14" coilovers! This is EVO's weld on coilover kits. I am going over all the geometry in my head and can not see how you can get 2" more travel then 12" of travel out of a 12" coilover without some sort of cantilever or the place that you are measuring from being a bit in front of the coilover.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scemracing
you get 12" of travel with the EVO 12" coilovers and 14" with there 14" coilovers! This is EVO's weld on coilover kits. I am going over all the geometry in my head and can not see how you can get 2" more travel then 12" of travel out of a 12" coilover without some sort of cantilever or the place that you are measuring from being a bit in front of the coilover.
I spoke with EVO a couple weeks ago. Their 14" coil over still only has a 12" shaft. The only reason for 14" coil over with their system is for greater ride height for running bigger tires 40+.

Imagine the top of the coil over angled back a little. As the wheel stuffs and moves forward due to control arms, the vertical distance to fit the coil over at an angle is less than if it was vertical. As the wheel droops and moves back due to the arc of the control arms, the greatest amount of droop is with the coil over perpendicular to the axes from the mounting point of the control arms on the axle to the mounting point on the frame. This will give you more wheel travel then the length of the coil over.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Ok with the shock angled back (like EVO's weld on kit) as the axle moves up (up travel) you are actually losing travel as the axle moves up 1" the coilover is compressing more then 1" but when you are past the point where it is vertical it is the opposite 1" in axle droop= less then 1" in coilover travel.

Is this correct?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok with the shock angled back (like EVO's weld on kit) as the axle moves up (up travel) you are actually losing travel as the axle moves up 1" the coilover is compressing more then 1" but when you are past the point where it is vertical it is the opposite 1" in axle droop= less then 1" in coilover travel.

Is this correct?
With the shock mounted back towards the pivot point of the control arms as in the EVO weld ons. When the wheels near full droop, is moving back and the coil over is near perpendicular to the control arms, 1" coil over travel is 1" wheel. When the wheel stuffs, moves forward, and the coil over is angled back towards the pivot point of the control arms, 1" coil over travel is more than 1" wheel travel and it gets progressively more ratio the more the angle is.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

ok I got it now I said the first part backwards
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another future consumer to one company lucky enough to get my dollars.

Subscribed, I enjoy getting educated by fact and opinion alike. Keep the punches rolling. The way I see it is that this is a chance for both Rebel and EVO to get some free advertising out to potential buyers. So why not take some time to show more photographic evidence of their systems capability? I maintain an open mind and am eager to keep learning about this topic. The faster I learn and am comfortable with the swap, the faster that money will be spent on a product I will feel comfortable with.

In the end, as WOL put it. We will all spend our money on what makes us happy.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

how did i miss this thread!!?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

this is such a great thread because SO MUCH usable information has come out through discussion and pictures. i have learned A LOT about suspension, not just particular kits.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
their bolt on kit is advertised as yielding 12" up front and 11.25" in the rear, this i too have seen. if what they say isn't true, that would be false advertisement.
eddie, if you dont mind correct me if i am wrong, but the rear of the evo bolt on kit yileds 11.25'' versus the 9'' that rebel showed out back? im pretty good with reading comprehension but thats a massive difference and pretty impressive on evo's part if i did read and understand correctly. i also saw somewhere you can set it at 2.5'' of lift. that is EXCELLENT because thats what i have now and dont need / want to go any higher.

evo's bolt on kit seems to be an absolutely excellent performer for the money. i was gearing up to go with the weld in kit and evolever, but pricing it out with the labor needed to install, my budget really says bolt on.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Eddie/EVO has yet to actually prove the 11.25" of travel! I don't believe everything I see on the internet so pics would be nice!

I know Eddie said that it would be false advertising but doesn't travel depend on a lot of different factors? Like tire size, fenders, and bumpstops? So Eddie your saying that everyone who puts the EVO bolt on kit on will have 11.25" of travel in the rear?

Rebel was kind enough to get out the tape measure and show us the flex on there kit why can't you or EVO do that same? It is a tape measure and you seem to offroad all the time so is it really that hard? You talk up the EVO kit so much and the off-roading pics are nice but I want to see comparable pics to what Rebel Off-road put up.

Doesn't the EVO kit require you to modify the Jeep to a point that is can not be taken back to stock? I am just trying to get all the facts before I fork off that kind of cash.

Thank you
Jason H.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 PM
JK Super Freak

.....I am just trying to get all the facts before I fork off that kind of cash.

Thank you
Jason H.
Seems like a waste of money to purchase either system if it's going to be used to drive onto rocks in moms front yard

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift