Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by REBEL OFF ROAD
You are absolutely correct, and it's a great point. For the photos taken above, this customer's JK (Blue Raider) was put on a forklift in the exact same state it drove to us in. Ready to go offroading. There are countless tricks we could have done to get a few more notches on the tape measure. We did not adjust secondary nuts, all sway bar links were connected (many customers and off roaders don't even run front connected links), tires were aired up, and drive shafts were connected.
LOL!! that wasn't what i was referring to but, i'm glad to hear you make that clear.

for the record, can you tell everyone who has or are interested in your kit that their front driveshaft will NOT bind at a full droop up front without limiting straps. thanks.

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing about this thread is getting to see the kits in action getting to see real numbers. Rebel showed his WOL what about the EVO bolt-on kit I have seen it flex but what about pics with a tape measure? I honestly still haven't made up my mind between bolt-on kits (which I prefer) and the weld on kits are still in the running.

Question for you guys how low can you go lift height wise and not be bottoming out all the time?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

What needs to happen is both jeeps ( wol jeep aka evos kit and rebels) run up to the new rock area at Azusa and let everyone see the two jeeps run through the paces. That would be great to see both system work and prove them selfs in person.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by scemracing
The best thing about this thread is getting to see the kits in action getting to see real numbers. Rebel showed his WOL what about the EVO bolt-on kit I have seen it flex but what about pics with a tape measure? I honestly still haven't made up my mind between bolt-on kits (which I prefer) and the weld on kits are still in the running.
evo has always advertised that their DTD system yields 14" of vertical travel and i have seen it measured out. their bolt on kit is advertised as yielding 12" up front and 11.25" in the rear, this i too have seen. if what they say isn't true, that would be false advertisement. up until now, rebel had not gone on record for saying what their kit provided, only that they used 12" coil overs. we now know that, without limiting straps, their fronts will give you 12" of travel but, they have not come on and stated one way or another whether on not your drive shaft will bind. of course, with the exception of the new rear bumps that they are coming out with, all their older kits came with early prototype bumps that provided only 9" of travel.

having said all that, let's look a the numbers:
the rebel kit will cost you about $4850 and, you will still need to get an exhaust modification with it and a rear sway bar system.

the evo kit only costs $3600 and you can keep your exhaust and rear sway bar so no additional money is needed to be spent. other benefits of the evo kit is that the rear coil overs use rock stars at the axle so that they are mounted higher up off the ground and armored and, the upper mounts are positioned in a way that the coilovers sit more vertically thus providing better performance.

Question for you guys how low can you go lift height wise and not be bottoming out all the time?
i don't know about the rebel kit but, the evo can safely be set as low as 2.5" but, i run mine at 3.5" - this allows me to run hard and fast in the desert without bottoming out.

Originally Posted by Jeff minney
What needs to happen is both jeeps ( wol jeep aka evos kit and rebels) run up to the new rock area at Azusa and let everyone see the two jeeps run through the paces. That would be great to see both system work and prove them selfs in person.
unless it were a totally apples to apples comparison, same type of jk, same amount of mods, same weight, same driver and exact same lines, a test like this would prove nothing. a good driver can make a lesser jeep perform in a way that a rookie in a built up jeep could never hope to. in the end, you should just spend your money how you want and be happy with it.

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-19-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
JK-Forum Founder

well, i'm going wheeling so, if there are anymore questions or comments directed to me, i'll just have to get to them later tonight. have fun.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
evo has always advertised that their DTD system yields 14" of vertical travel and i have seen it measured out. their bolt on kit is advertised as yielding 12" up front and 11.25" in the rear, this i too have seen. if what they say isn't true, that would be false advertisement. up until now, rebel had not gone on record for saying what their kit provided, only that they used 12" coil overs. we now know that, without limiting straps, their fronts will give you 12" of travel but, they have not come on and stated one way or another whether on not your drive shaft will bind. of course, with the exception of the new rear bumps that they are coming out with, all their older kits came with early prototype bumps that provided only 9" of travel.

the rebel kit will cost you about $4850 and, you will still need to get an exhaust modification with it and a rear sway bar system.

the evo kit only costs $3600 and you can keep your exhaust and rear sway bar so no additional money is needed to be spent. other benefits of the evo kit is that the rear coil overs use rock stars at the axle so that they are mounted higher up off the ground and armored and, the upper mounts are positioned in a way that the coilovers sit more vertically thus providing better performance.

i don't know about the rebel kit but, the evo can safely be set as low as 2.5" but, i run mine at 3.5" - this allows me to run hard and fast in the desert without bottoming out.

unless it were a totally apples to apples comparison, same type of jk, same amount of mods, same weight, same driver and exact same lines, a test like this would prove nothing. a good driver can make a lesser jeep perform in a way that a rookie in a built up jeep could never hope to. in the end, you should just spend your money how you want and be happy with it.

Fair enough!

In all seriousness though my wife's bonus needs to hurry up I want me some coilovers!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Our RECON coilover system is currently available in a number for configurations to meet different customers needs. As far as rear exhaust mod and rear sway bar system, our rear RECON system does work with a factory rear sway bar (just need longer links), and really - if a customer is inquiring about a rear coilover conversion to tackle more extreme trails, relocating the exhaust system would be a beneficial move regardless. In fact, with the rocky trails found around the US, the exhaust system should be the first thing to be moved.

Here is a quick breakdown:

RECON Front Coilover Conversion - $616
Race inspired tubular mounting hoops, Bolt-on, Grade-8 hardware, full color instructions (for customers wishing to run other than King coilovers)
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-...-frontcomp.htm

RECON Front Hydraulic Bumpstop Conversion - $90
Steel Brackets, Bolt-on, full color instructions
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-...econ-fbump.htm

RECON Front Hydrualic Bumpstop Conversion + King 2.0 Bump - $632
Steel Brackets, Bolt-on, Grade-8 hardware, full color instructions
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-...econ-fbump.htm

RECON Front Coilover Conversion plus King 2.0 12" Coilovers - $1750
Race inspired tubular mounting hoops, Bolt-on, Grade-8 hardware, full color instructions
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-...-frontcomp.htm

Our rear RECON system, like our front, is also available in a number of configurations.

RECON Rear Coilover Conversion - $780.95
Steel Brackets only (for customers wishing to run other than King coilovers)
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-...n-rearcomp.htm

RECON REAR Coilover Conversion Brackets + 12" 2.0 King Coilovers - $1914.95
Steel Brackets, Bolt-on, Grade-8 hardware, full color instructions
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-...n-rearcomp.htm

RECON Rear Xtreme Coilover Conversion (through the cab) - $1300
Race inspired chromoly tubular mounting cage (utilizing vehicle frame rails for the ultimate strength), full color instructions (for customers wishing to run other than King 14" 2.0 coilovers)
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/roe-rxtreme.htm

RECON Rear Xtreme Coilover Conversion Brackets + 14" 2.0 King Coilovers - $2434
Race inspired chromoly tubular mounting cage (utilizing vehicle frame rails for the ultimate strength), full color instructions
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/roe-rxtreme.htm

Again, each component of our system can be ordered separately or as a complete package for everyone's Jeep JK. Everyone gets the choose what they would like for their individual trail needs and off roading style.

Last edited by REBEL OFF ROAD; 07-19-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

the evo kit only costs $3600 and you can keep your exhaust and rear sway bar so no additional money is needed to be spent. .................
The following quotes are taken from the EVO Press release thread..somewhere around page 7ish…but because no one likes reading a 25+ page thread for answers these same replys are found throughout because people ask the same question multiple times.

Originally Posted by open_speed
If you were starting with a totally blank slate JK 2 dr, what would you recommend to go with the coilover? I don't need everything to be top of the line. But besides the driveshafts, what should I add to the coilover order?
adjustable front lower control arms, front draglink flip/front track bar relocation, rear track bar relocation and rear adjustable upper control arms. that would be what i would recommend as a bare minimum.
Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
As bare minimum lift kit combination on a 4 door JKU

EVO MFG front lower adjustable control arms $419.99
EVO MFG Draglink Flip $299.99

Plus the coilover kits. (The rear kit comes with the trackbar bracket)

We recommend front driveshafts on all JK's 2007 and UP
Rear driveshafts on all 2 doors 2007-up, along with rear upper adjustable control arms

Just to be clear-not trying to start an argument. I just want to make sure a newb doesn’t come in and stumble upon this post thinking all they have to spend is $3600 to have the EVO bolt on kit and run it at a proper bare minimum. For me and my JKU I am looking at ~$4800 which includes :
Coilovers Front
Coilovers Rear
draglink flip kit
Front DS
Front Lower Cntl Arms
(WOL/EVO please tell me if I have missed/added something).

Also, I am one of the people that’s been waiting patiently for this kit (evo bolt on) to come out. As soon as I sell my Ducati (shameless plug) I plan on starting the purchases for the JK  I just want to make sure people know that its not just $3.6 to run it properly.

Last edited by borracho; 07-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by borracho
The following quotes are taken from the EVO Press release thread..somewhere around page 7ish...but because no one likes reading a 25+ page thread for answers these same replys are found throughout because people ask the same question multiple times.

Just to be clear-not trying to start an argument. I just want to make sure a newb doesn't come in and stumble upon this post thinking all they have to spend is $3600 to have the EVO bolt on kit and run it at a proper bare minimum. For me and my JKU I am looking at ~$4800 which includes :
Coilovers Front
Coilovers Rear
draglink flip kit
Front DS
Front Lower Cntl Arms
(WOL/EVO please tell me if I have missed/added something).

Also, I am one of the people that's been waiting patiently for this kit (evo bolt on) to come out. As soon as I sell my Ducati (shameless plug) I plan on starting the purchases for the JK ? I just want to make sure people know that its not just $3.6 to run it properly.
You can't really count those items cause you should run that stuff with both coilover kits. Rebel didn't say that you needed that stuff but if you don't you will be very limited. The DS will limit travel especially in a 2012. The control arms and drag link flip correct flighty steering which comes with the amount of lift of both kits.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Most of those things would be required if you ran a regular coil 3.5'' lift, it just part of the cost of anything you do above a mild small lift.

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift