Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, that's a fair response. I was just asking cause sometimes it 'seemed' like you were answering for EVO or had inside info. That's all.

I don't know you, and I wasn't saying you were bought. All I was asking was if there was any conflict of interest. That's all. I think that was a valid question for a user of the site to ask.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
chirp, chirp, chirp.

REBEL OFF ROAD - You guys have been looking at this thread on and off for a long time now and I've yet to hear you state for the record just how much vertical travel your coil over kit yields both front and rear. This isn't some kind of trick question. May I remind you that you are the one who dug up this old thread to call me out and now, I have to wonder why the sudden silence.
Just went outside to take some photos for you.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by REBEL OFF ROAD
Just went outside to take some photos for you.
glad to hear it but, disappointed that you're still unwilling to go on record to state exactly how much usable vertical travel your front and rear coil overs provide.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor

glad to hear it but, disappointed that you're still unwilling to go on record to state exactly how much usable vertical travel your front and rear coil overs provide.
No problem, and we are happy to answer any questions you or any forum member has.

Per King's website, non race application 2.0 12" coilover:
Compressed: 19"
Extended: 31"

Rebel Off Road RECON coilover conversion, completely bolt on, with attached Currie AntiRock links, tires at 37 psi, level terrain:
Compressed Front: 19"
Extended Front: 31"
Overall travel: 12" (zero contact with front driveshaft)

Compressed Rear: 22"
Extended Rear: 31"
Overall travel: 9" (with room to go in the rear bump as pictured)

Front Droop:

Front Compressed:

Rear Compressed:

Rear Droop:

Front Driveshaft:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I guess that answers my question about rear travel. 9" it is.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1342727125894.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	343047
Evo on the left and Rebel coil overs on the right (obviously) .
Sent via flip'n Carrier Pigeon
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

No problem, and we are happy to answer any questions you or any forum member has.

Per King's website, non race application 2.0 12" coilover:
Compressed: 19"
Extended: 31"

Rebel Off Road RECON coilover conversion, completely bolt on, with attached Currie AntiRock links, tires at 37 psi, level terrain:
Compressed Front: 19"
Extended Front: 31"
Overall travel: 12" (zero contact with front driveshaft)

Compressed Rear: 22"
Extended Rear: 31"
Overall travel: 9" (with room to go in the rear bump as pictured)
thanks for the pics and for posting up your numbers for the record

up front, trying to make your kit drop this much, i found the front drive shaft would bind (something i would consider to be a problem) and based my numbers on it. i can only imagine that is why you installed limiting straps on the jk i saw. but hey, without the straps, you have clearly proven me wrong.

as for the rear, i appreciate your honesty by saying you only got about 9" of travel as i got a total of 9.5" at a full bump. clearly a case where just because you can run 12" coil overs doesn't mean you get 12" of vertical travel.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by highoctane
So I guess that answers my question about rear travel. 9" it is.
thanks for the pics and for posting up your numbers for the record

up front, trying to make your kit drop this much, i found the front drive shaft would bind (something i would consider to be a problem) and based my numbers on it. i can only imagine that is why you installed limiting straps on the jk i saw. but hey, without the straps, you have clearly proven me wrong.

as for the rear, i appreciate your honesty by saying you only got about 9" of travel as i got a total of 9.5" at a full bump. clearly a case where just because you can run 12" coil overs doesn't mean you get 12" of vertical travel.
We would like to point out that the rear bump in that photo still has room to compress, as does the rear coilver. The bumpstop can in the rear compressed photo is an early prototype and isn't in use in our current kit. Will grab a JK with our current rear and compress it to show we do get a full 12" of rear compression.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor

there are proprietary tricks of the trade that can be used to get more out of a coil over.
You are absolutely correct, and it's a great point. For the photos taken above, this customer's JK (Blue Raider) was put on a forklift in the exact same state it drove to us in. Ready to go offroading. There are countless tricks we could have done to get a few more notches on the tape measure. We did not adjust secondary nuts, all sway bar links were connected (many customers and off roaders don't even run front connected links), tires were aired up, and drive shafts were connected.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
JK-Forum Founder

We would like to point out that the rear bump in that photo still has room to compress, as does the rear coilver. The bumpstop can in the rear compressed photo is an early prototype and isn't in use in our current kit. Will grab a JK with our current rear and compress it to show we do get a full 12" of rear compression.
yeah, i'm sure you would. funny that you didn't mention that sooner. certainly, i would never have known that every single kit of yours that i've seen has this "early prototype".

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift