Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover suspension worth it?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snopro269
I am not a smart man but the reason to put a lift on is to get larger tires on thus more clearance thus height increase
Yes, in most cases you need a lift to gain the clearance for larger tires....and the larger tires are the key to where the real clearance is needed for the axle/differential to pass cleanly over obstacles. However, in this case with coilovers (specifically the EVO DTD) allow you to run a lower amount of lift (which equals a lower center of gravity, better for offroading) yet still have more articulation/down travel than any traditional coil spring lift. Your down travel, or droop, with coilovers is huge and is what keeps a tire in contact with a surface and allows traction to climb up, over, and around. With traditional coil spring lifts there is just not the same amount of articulation and that leads to less droop and tires seeing more hang time in the air.

A better example of the lift comparison:

My old lift- Teraflex 3" short arm w/ 35" BFG km2's
Vehicle height at top of windshield- 79"

New lift- EVO DTD long arm w/ 40" MTR/K's
Vehicle height at top of windshield- 81"

I only gained 2" of vehicle height, yet gained huge amounts of axle clearance because I was able to run a massive tire with the coilover setup.

Last edited by GCM 2; 02-21-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GCM 2

Yes, in most cases you need a lift to gain the clearance for larger tires....and the larger tires are the key to where the real clearance is needed for the axle/differential to pass cleanly over obstacles. However, in this case with coilovers (specifically the EVO DTD) allow you to run a lower amount of lift (which equals a lower center of gravity, better for offroading) yet still have more articulation/down travel than any traditional coil spring lift. Your down travel, or droop, with coilovers is huge and is what keeps a tire in contact with a surface and allows traction to climb up, over, and around. With traditional coil spring lifts there is just not the same amount of articulation and that leads to less droop and tires seeing more hang time in the air.

I only gained 2" of vehicle height and I went up to a massive tire.
I understand geometry with suspension but the matter of going to from a 35 to a 37
End result to end result he's asking
Put the lift on with 35's and measure it
Then remove the 35's and install 37's
Now by chance if he measured it current with 35's then put a double down in it and lost axle height
I'm confused
The axle is a constant with the tire attached maybe I'm missing something
Windshield height I can see but clearance no sir
I think we are stating the same thing but different ways
Lol

Last edited by snopro269; 02-21-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bauker
I've got a 4" terflex long arm kit at the moment and plan to step it up to a 6" soon, but wasn't sure if the jump to coilovers was worth the 3200.00 (front & back) price tag. Can anyone give me some input on this and their experience? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
very very subjective..... worth it is you will use them.. of course..
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Yes, one purpose is the lower center of gravity, a year and a
half ago, I did the Rubicon on 35" KM'2s, over and over I hit
bottom and decided I would not do it again unless I had 37"
tires, which would increase axle ground clearance. I wasn't
the only one, sm-rubi, and a couple of others also discussed
needing 37's. So....with doulbe coilovers, Jeep same height,
fits in garage with true 37" Nitto's and can go fastest over
the whoopies!! Jeep goes in tomorrow morning to EVO,
can't wait!!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Jedi

I only gained 2" of vehicle height, yet gained huge amounts of axle clearance because I was able to run a massive tire with the coilover setup.
Assuming your tires were true to stated size (I know the 35's aren't, but humor me), didn't you gain about 2.5" of axle height by going up 5" in tire size to a 40?

Even though that doesn't seem like much, I would think the difference in droop from a standard short arm to the EVO DTD would have to be impressive. Any idea what you gained in vertical travel over the suspension cycle? Man I would love to drive an EVO DTD through some of Nevada's open deserts.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sharkey
Assuming your tires were true to stated size (I know the 35's aren't, but humor me), didn't you gain about 2.5" of axle height by going up 5" in tire size to a 40?

Even though that doesn't seem like much, I would think the difference in droop from a standard short arm to the EVO DTD would have to be impressive. Any idea what you gained in vertical travel over the suspension cycle? Man I would love to drive an EVO DTD through some of Nevada's open deserts.
Sharkey, you are spot on man. I gained huge amounts of axle clearance due to the 40"s, also helping was the ProRock 60 housing being way smaller than a D44. The other part that goes unlooked is how much mounting point clearance you gain with the EVO high clearance set up, there are no lower shock mounts or lower control arms hanging way below the axles like traditional lifts.
With my King coilovers at their current adjustment, I truly only gained 2 inches of overall vehicle height even though I went from 35"s to 40"s in tire size. On the vertical travel question, I have to defer to the EVO standard line of sales defense, a true 14"s of wheel travel. I would say after wheeling my rig thru some really harsh terrain and spotting for lots of EVO DTD equip'd rigs, I have no reason to doubt Mel Wade's claim of advertised amount of wheel travel

Last edited by GCM 2; 02-21-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

EVO double throwdown is in my future
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

This is the perfect example. All the info I was looking for. Greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tanner6427
EVO double throwdown is in my future
Same here.

Quick Reply: Coilover suspension worth it?