Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coilover suspension worth it?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover suspension worth it?

I've got a 4" terflex long arm kit at the moment and plan to step it up to a 6" soon, but wasn't sure if the jump to coilovers was worth the 3200.00 (front & back) price tag. Can anyone give me some input on this and their experience? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump...I'm also curious about this.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Default For me, yes.

It really comes down to the type of offroading you are going to do. Unless you plan on doing some serious rock crawling, it's probably not necessary. My set up allows me the most articulation you can possibly imagine on a daily driver, with the ability to still see trails once only available to tube buggies. Since I also run a three stage (triple by-pass) shock at each corner alongside the coilovers, I can also do really fun highspeed runs through the woops, bumps and desert without tearing apart my rig. For where I drive and how I wheel, coilovers were a no brainier and worth every cent.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2
It really comes down to the type of offroading you are going to do. Unless you plan on doing some serious rock crawling, it's probably not necessary. My set up allows me the most articulation you can possibly imagine on a daily driver, with the ability to still see trails once only available to tube buggies. Since I also run a three stage (triple by-pass) shock at each corner alongside the coilovers, I can also do really fun highspeed runs through the woops, bumps and desert without tearing apart my rig. For where I drive and how I wheel, coilovers were a no brainier and worth every cent.
what he said.

another thing to take into consideration is your bushings. the TF arms use bonded rubber bushings at the frame and, with the kind of flex you can get running coil overs, you will run the risk of blowing them out - trust me, i have seen it happen. not that big of a deal and, when it does happen, you can swap in a set of johnny joints but, it is something to think about.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what he said.

another thing to take into consideration is your bushings. the TF arms use bonded rubber bushings at the frame and, with the kind of flex you can get running coil overs, you will run the risk of blowing them out - trust me, i have seen it happen. not that big of a deal and, when it does happen, you can swap in a set of johnny joints but, it is something to think about.
My Teraflex longarms are doing it with 3" springs and slightly longer shocks to get more flex. Bushings are actually tearing and pulling out of the control arms on the axle end. I could imagine it would happen alot faster with coilovers.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by highoctane
My Teraflex longarms are doing it with 3" springs and slightly longer shocks to get more flex. Bushings are actually tearing and pulling out of the control arms on the axle end. I could imagine it would happen alot faster with coilovers.
no kidding? when i ran a TF kit, i had the spherical joints blow apart a few times. TF was nice enough to send me new joints and a few field repair kits of which i have used on other JK's. clearly, it's not something that everyone needs but, if you want big flex, you really need to be running something like rod ends or johnny joints on both ends.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
no kidding? when i ran a TF kit, i had the spherical joints blow apart a few times. TF was nice enough to send me new joints and a few field repair kits of which i have used on other JK's. clearly, it's not something that everyone needs but, if you want big flex, you really need to be running something like rod ends or johnny joints on both ends.
Yep. The bushings have moved out of the control arm about 1/3", and are tearing now because of the leverage being applied to the end of the bushing sticking out of the arm. I'm thinking of cutting off the end with the rubber bushing, welding a bung to the end, and running either JJ's or the new Rock Krawler flex joints on both ends of the arms, and replacing the Teraflex joints in the upper arms as well. Out of respect to Teraflex, I did notify them of the issue and they quickly w/o question sent me new bushings.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now I wish I got the EVO lift kit instead lol.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JaySC
Now I wish I got the EVO lift kit instead lol.
I've considered seeing if Evo will sell me just the longarms w/o brackets, and mounting with my Teraflex longarm brackets. Those are nice arms.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Freak

Had the Teraflex complete 3" lift which I really liked.
Then went to EVO coilovers front and rear. Great,
very pleased that I did.
And.....so pleased, that this Wednesday I go back to
EVO to get the double throw downs. Excited about this
and can't wait to run the setup in Moab in a few weeks
along with new 37" Nittos.

Quick Reply: Coilover suspension worth it?