Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coil Springs, pros/cons.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coil Springs, pros/cons.

I've had 3 different lift kits since early 07, with different feelings on each. I noticed with superlift springs I had a soild stiffer ride with great movement on rock. I upgraded to a pro comp stage 2, but notices more bounce and sag. I'm looking to replace those springs and looking for something stiffer that will hold weight and last. What's your opinions on what you're running?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Coilovers
Old 10-22-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

By far the old man emu if your looking for a spring that can hold some weight. I have a buddy with a wj that has the heavy duty springs because he carries a ton of gear all time. Now he did say when he takes all that stuff out it rides like a brick house. You need progressive springs and I recommend looking at old man emu heavy duty coils
Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

x2 get progressive. most springs are advertised with the additional load rating. ex. being light load 0-90 lbs. medium 90-180. heavy 180-up so on . however take other things into account. hard or soft top or no top will make a difference. as well as if your backseat is in or not. do your research enjoy
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by familytime
Coilovers
What he said!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
I've had 3 different lift kits since early 07, with different feelings on each. I noticed with superlift springs I had a soild stiffer ride with great movement on rock. I upgraded to a pro comp stage 2, but notices more bounce and sag. I'm looking to replace those springs and looking for something stiffer that will hold weight and last. What's your opinions on what you're running?
If the springs sag from day one they weren't strong enough for the job. If they were fine when new but sagged over time then the spring steel is probably not so good.

Sagging springs can also get bouncy, but shocks play a big role in how the springs act when the Jeep is in motion. The best springs going would seem like crap without the right shocks.

I like the idea of picking the shocks and springs together. Coil-over is one way to get there. Another way is springs and shocks that are tuned to each other and sold together. Adjustable shocks will also let you tune the system to get the most from your springs.

Quick Reply: Coil Springs, pros/cons.