Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coil Spring Spacer Question

Old 01-20-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Spring Spacer Question

I am installing a 1" TF spacer in the front of my Rubi to level it out from a winch install. What is the proper way to get everything apart to do this?
Will I need an alignment if I have to disconnect the upper and lower control arms?

Last edited by KMHENRY77; 01-20-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

For a 1 inch spacer, all you need to do is remove the wheels and disconnect the shocks. Lower the axle and the springs will fall out.

You may need to jack up one side of the axle which will lower the other side quite a bit more than just lowering the axle, enabling you to remove the spring, slide in the spacer and reinstall the spring.

Be sure to keep an eye on the brake lines as they can easily get stretched. You may have to unbolt the braket to allow for more play in the lines.

Depending on the tires you are running and how much off roading you do, now would be the time for bumps stops as well. I had 1 3/4 inch spacers for a while and 33 inch tires. With the sway bar disconnected my tires rubbed the flares pretty bad at only moderate flex.

No alignment is needed for only a 1 inch spacer.

Good luck...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default ok, thanks

I appreciate the help. I will give it a go.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Use WOL's write-up on installing the 2.5 TF BB.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Use WOL's write-up on installing the 2.5 TF BB.
I completely forgot about WOL's write-up, I followed it and it made everything very easy. WOL does such a good job on his write-ups it is amazing.

After the install the steering wheel had to be re-centered just as in WOL's instructions.
She is done and back on the road.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

In general, if the spacer is merely restoring lost height...say from a bumper/winch addition, the alignment's OK.

If you are changing things, like taking away the rake the factory designed into the suspension, in addition to restoring lost height from the added weight, then the total change can be enough to warrant an alignment in some cases.

If the shops will CHECK it for free, then go for it as a rule of thumb.

Quick Reply: Coil Spring Spacer Question