Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coil spring/shock change and spacer question

Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil spring/shock change and spacer question

so i want to change my springs to the stiffest ones mopar makes which i think are 19/60s if i remember right? my fronts currently are 14 and i forget what my rear is but i really want it to sit higher. i was thinking of swapping out the springs for stiffer ones then getting the AEV 2" spacer kit. if i do those two things will i or should change the shocks? and will i run into any problems with having taller springs since they'll be stiffer and the spacers not fit? currently i am running stock rubi wheels and tires and are planning on changing that either if that's a factor

thanks!!
-Tom
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deertick
so i want to change my springs to the stiffest ones mopar makes which i think are 19/60s if i remember right? my fronts currently are 14 and i forget what my rear is but i really want it to sit higher. i was thinking of swapping out the springs for stiffer ones then getting the AEV 2" spacer kit. if i do those two things will i or should change the shocks? and will i run into any problems with having taller springs since they'll be stiffer and the spacers not fit? currently i am running stock rubi wheels and tires and are planning on changing that either if that's a factor

thanks!!
-Tom
Hi Tom,
There are members running 4 dr springs with rubi shocks. You might look at shock adapters or new shocks, but I have seen members running Rubi springs and shocks for a 4dr with leveling kits such as Teraflex and no adapters.

I wnet from 14/55 to 18/59 springs and Rubi shocks, wheels and tires. Including 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. Very happy with results. I will add leveling kit down the road.

Before
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8466.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	403838
After

Name:	IMG_20120911_080051.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	403839
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

thanks!!
-Tom
there will be no issue with combing the aev 2" spacer lift and stiffer springs as some jeeps come stock with 19's. Better shocks are always a good idea but rubi shocks are good shocks for oem
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

thanks!!
-Tom
Hey Tom, I'm running 3" level kit with 19/60 springs and Rubi red shocks. Very happy with this set up.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gman*2007

Hey Tom, I'm running 3" level kit with 19/60 springs and Rubi red shocks. Very happy with this set up.
Pics please
Old 12-31-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

very awesome! that's exactly what i want to do so im glad there wont be any issues! are the rubi shocks good or should i go with something like bilstein?

Originally Posted by catahoula
Hi Tom,
There are members running 4 dr springs with rubi shocks. You might look at shock adapters or new shocks, but I have seen members running Rubi springs and shocks for a 4dr with leveling kits such as Teraflex and no adapters.

I wnet from 14/55 to 18/59 springs and Rubi shocks, wheels and tires. Including 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. Very happy with results. I will add leveling kit down the road.

Before
Attachment 403838
After
Attachment 403839
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

I've read awesome results from forum members that have Bilsteins. Rubi shocks are very nice and budget minded can be had for around $100? Here is another angle

Name:	ForumRunner_20121231_105600.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	403895

Last edited by catahoula; 12-31-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

I also got pics of me next to a 2Dr 2013 rubi if you want to see for comparison let me know.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will be adding 3.5"-4" of lift with the longer springs (higher number springs are physically longer not stiffer) and spacers, you can stick with stock shocks but you will really be limiting your down travel if you are planning on off roading. I went from 14/55 to 17/58 along with 2" spacers, even the longer shocks that came with the 2" BB were limiting my down travel, I am currently running Bilstien 5100's for a 4" lift up front and a 3" lift in the rear. I did need to extend my bumpstops and brake lines.

17 vs 14 spring 1.5" taller

Here is mine

With old shocks only 3 tires on the ground

longer shocks all 4 tires remain on the ground

Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by catahoula
I also got pics of me next to a 2Dr 2013 rubi if you want to see for comparison let me know.
yes please!!! love to see that!!

Quick Reply: Coil spring/shock change and spacer question