Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coil question

Old 03-24-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil question

Hello all. I have a cheap RC 3.5" lift. I'm also running .75" coil spacers. Recently I've added a smitty xrc 9.5 winch to the bumper.. With both bumpers and the winch I hate how low my rig is sitting. I wish I had the money for a better lift but I don't. My question is can I add larger coils and keep the spacers? The RC coils are roughly three years old. Will newer heavier rated coils raise the jeep back to where it originally was? What do yall recommend? Sorry for the newb questions....
Old 03-24-2015, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no way to really say one way or the other. It depends on the springs and weight of your accessories. None of us know "where it originally was" either. If you went with a quality coil spring set up, and you have all the other needed parts for a 3.5" lift like the right bump stops, relocation bracket, etc..., then you shouldn't need the spacers.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There have been a few threads on RC coils settling/sagging, and the guys involved have had great luck with getting replacement coils sent to them. So if you think they may have sagged over the years, that may be an option.

If you think the loss of height is solely due to the added weight, look at a few of the other mfg's with dual/triple rate coils that are popular these days. MC, RK, Synergy, etc. They should handle the weight better, and most likely give a better ride.

For components, if you end up somewhere close to where you started when that 3.5" lift was installed, you will have no issue just swapping the coils. Just do some browsing and reading on the coils you choose so you don't end up an inch or two higher than you planned.

Quick Reply: Coil question