Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coil-over conversion kit - Which one?!?!?

Old 07-30-2020, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil-over conversion kit - Which one?!?!?

So I've finally decided to cough up the money for a coil-over conversion kit, but the next question is which one?!? I've seen plenty of forums on here with guys raving about the Evo kits but haven't heard many other names being thrown around.. just curious as to how they stack up against other kits.

So a few of the brands I was thinking about are;
  • ​​​​​​Evo (duh)
  • Synergy
  • Accutune off-road
  • Rebel
Most of the tracks in my area are quite cambered/steep so would like it to sit as low as possible but still be decent on the fast bumps, etc.

​​​​​​Go your hardest!
Old 07-31-2020, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Personally I would recommend finding a shop that knows what they are doing and have a custom set up done. but from your list I would go with Accutune as it will be better set up for your jeep and what you want to do with it vs an out of the box set up from EVO or Rebel. I typically say people who buy those kits don't know what they are doing and just have to have coil overs, they never adjust, set up, or tune the shocks to get the most out of the system and typically run too much shock for their lift height. EVo's king shocks are custom configured for them, this means you can't even buy parts from king to repair them. The rear shocks are also 11" of travel which is an odd size. Rebel is a step down from EVo.

There are several companies that make shock towers that are way cheaper than the popular ones on the JK forums and sites. Here is one example.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Frame-Shoc...ir-_p_306.html
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Behind-The...ket_p_290.html

Ruff Stuff Specialties , WFO Concepts, Ballistic Fabrication, Chassis Unlimited are some other companies that can supply brackets at a fraction of the costs.

Of course your overall set up will need to be considered. I prefer outboard front and rear to keep the shocks on the rear from damage while backing up. This really requires wider axles. I would not put anything bigger than 37" tires on the kits that are offered if you want to keep the height low. I would say ideally the kits would pair best with 35" tires.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Dirtman.

Yes in a perfect world I would take it to a shop for a a custom build, but in a perfect world I would also V8 swap it.

Like most things, I'm trying to do it on a bit of a budget without too much performance compromise.

I would like around 12 - 14 inches of travel in the end but am struggling to see how this is possible in the rear without too much fab work whilst still keeping cog low...

The other thing I'm currently contemplating is long arm kit. Been looking at Synergy but tbh not too sure what to do.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I don't see taking it to a shop that knows what they are doing as being more expensive than a compromised bolt on set up. The only long arm out worth a crap is the GenRight Elite kit and it is rather expensive but includes your coil overs. I really would not bother with anything else but a custom set up. There are just too many things in the way to get good geometry and clearance from the bolt on stuff out there. Mainly the inability to get the upper frame links high enough, and the fuel tank is just in the way.
The following users liked this post:
jedg (08-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Coil-over conversion kit - Which one?!?!?