Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coating bare metal Poison Spyder equipment

Old 07-02-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some others here might need the super jumbo mega pantie wad puller though...lol
Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
Some others here might need the super jumbo mega pantie wad puller though...lol
it's just good to know some people out there aren't butt hurt by everything. 😁
Old 07-02-2016, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
it's just good to know some people out there aren't butt hurt by everything. dde01
Definitely not me. I just don't like seeing mistruths perpetuated
Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Out2gtcha
Hey guys,
Just as the title reads, I am in line to purchase some PSC stuff (Front/rear bumpers with skid plate and full body mount spare carrier).
Unfortunately for me, the stuff I want is NOT available in their "SpiderShell" coating from the factory. I have come to the conclusion that THESE are in fact the bumpers and tire carrier for me, so subbing in other bumpers is NOT an option.

I have consulted a professional Line-X dealer here in Omaha, and with the sand-blasting, the metal etch coat, Line-X primer, then the heat applied Line-X itself, the cost to do all three pieces is quoted at around the $950 USD mark. That is way, WAY, WAY out of my budget to get the stuff coated.
Not to mention, that although its guaranteed, and Im sure as, or MORE bomb-proof than any other coating, the Line-X is still VERY bumpy and has a lot of texture..............way more than I liked, and looks rougher than I wanted.

I also consulted several professional powder coaters. Also needing to be sand-blasted, as well as powder coat-primed, then powder coated, the cost with all that is also around the $900 mark.

Im NOT down for doing it myself as the fudge factor for getting it wrong is way too high, and I would like the coating backed/guaranteed as well if possible.
What Im wondering is what does everyone else do in situations like this were you need to coat bare parts?
Is there anything out the comparable to PSC's "SpiderShell" coating that is durable similar to Line-X, but smooth similar to powder coating?

Any help greatly appreciated.
TIA
Brian
Add in that Line-X does not fade and stays black. There are several things you can do but none that will be like Line-X. It may look good for awhile if you stay off the rocks and keep it clean. There are other bedliners that are smoother but generally softer too.

Powder coating is tough and harder to chip than regular paint but it will chip on rocks. In mud it will hold up great. It is easy to clean too.

As for cost, you will spend it over a long period of time (spray over and over) and it not look as good, or you can save then do it right.

Quick Reply: Coating bare metal Poison Spyder equipment