Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coating bare metal Poison Spyder equipment

Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You could do it all with rustoleum rattle can bed liner for about $40 yourself. Where you are and if you really wheel you are going to be touching it up anyway. Scrapes and scratches are a way of life in the off road world. Not sure why you are looking for a warrantee on a paint job for bumpers but if you have to have that I would expect you to pay top $$$. When I had customers that asked for stuff like that the price went up 2x-3x because I knew they would be a pain in the ass and really did not want to do the work for them.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my rear cargo cover powder coated down in Bellevue for less than $50. I asked them when they were shooting black and asked if I could get it in with the already scheduled batch. There is way more surface area to powder coat on my cargo cover than your bumpers. I think it was called Great Plains off Chandler Rd. I just stopped in and asked them to make me a great deal.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:56 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
They still looking at oil field prices up there? That's crazy expensive for powdercoat. A buddy just did rock sliders, a new rear bumper with tire carrier, and a few other components, all PoisonSpyder, and it was under $300 for everything. The setup is what they nail you on, so if you're taking it all in at the same time, it should be substantially less, or I'm in the wrong business.

Boom. That is exactly what I thought. The place I went to is a specialty shop, that ONLY does powder coating. Im HOPING there is another powder coating place that I can contact, as I too thought the price was SUPER steep for powder coating.
Like CRAZY steep. Actually from the pricing I have found around the country for professionally applied Line-X, the Line-X dealer here in Omaha is also CRAZY expensive.

Its funny, if you google "Line-X" or "Line-X dealer" you will come upon a strange colored graph under the heading "Spray in bedliner Cost: Line-X cost and Rhino liner cost" that has the regions around the US with different prices for Line-X professional applications; I should have known it was going to be hella expensive around here as the bottom of the graph states:

"The highest quoted price came from an installer near Omaha NE, at 667" Which is STILL 300ish less than what the actually Line-X dealer quoted me! Freaking outrageous!

I really do like the looks of the powder coating MUCH better, so I think Im going to hunt around for other price quotes.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mattk11
I had my rear cargo cover powder coated down in Bellevue for less than $50. I asked them when they were shooting black and asked if I could get it in with the already scheduled batch. There is way more surface area to powder coat on my cargo cover than your bumpers. I think it was called Great Plains off Chandler Rd. I just stopped in and asked them to make me a great deal.

Thanks Matt! Is that Great Plains auto-body perhaps?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:59 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
They do need to be sand blasted or coating doesn't adhere properly. Look up laser scale.
Bingo. That is EXACTLY the case, weather I go powder coat OR Line-X. Even PSC states that when I talked to their rep about the SpiderShell coating.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:02 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
Whoops, I thought you were talking to me. I just noticed I misread OP's post, I thought the line-x was 900, not powdercoat.

Yeah that is nuts

Yep. Kinda what I thought too. I was very professional and thanked him for his time, as he was a really nice guy, but I was screaming "F-U thats ridiculous!" in my head.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:57 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mattk11

Matt, was it "Great Plains Polymers" in Bellevue maybe?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:06 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Out2gtcha
Matt, was it "Great Plains Polymers" in Bellevue maybe?

Haha, I just called these guys @ Great Plains Powder Coating................talked to a really nice gent, who said they could do my bumpers and tire carrier, but they were not necessarily set up to do any sand-blasting..............

SO, he sent me to another very nice guy named Josh @ "Trail Performance Coatings Inc". Josh then proceeded to quote me direct for all three PSC parts as he indicated this is EXACTLY whey they do on a weekly basis (powder coat Jeep/off-road parts) so he gave me an almost direct quote of :
- $100 for the PSC rear bumper
- $150 for the PSC front tube gusset bumper
- $75 - $85 for the PSC body mount tire carrier
$325 - $335

way, WAY WAY less, like 3 times less than the "Top Dog" powder coaters I got a quote at yesterday. I also found out that Top Dog specializes in "Hot Rod" parts, and all their processes are the same, in that they charge equally for satin black as they do for any of their other colors.
This for me does NOT justify the near $600 dollar difference! Nice guys, but dont know how they will stay in business, unless they strictly deal with rich people who dont need to search for a cheaper price.

Thanks for all the input guys, its exactly the info I needed!
Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That price is right about where it should be. As was pointed out, its going on parts that tend to get banged up over time anyway. Get it on there and get ready to touch it up down the road.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:34 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by jordy
That price is right about where it should be. As was pointed out, its going on parts that tend to get banged up over time anyway. Get it on there and get ready to touch it up down the road.
Exactly what I was thinking. Touch ups on a $300 ish coating is probably expected (as are ANY coatings actually!) but to spend almost a grand on it, and STILL have to touch things up seems ridiculous.

Im just glad I posed here, and realized that the price I was being quoted was WAY out of line for what I was getting done.

Quick Reply: Coating bare metal Poison Spyder equipment