Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coating bare metal Poison Spyder equipment

Old 06-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coating bare metal Poison Spyder equipment

Hey guys,
Just as the title reads, I am in line to purchase some PSC stuff (Front/rear bumpers with skid plate and full body mount spare carrier).
Unfortunately for me, the stuff I want is NOT available in their "SpiderShell" coating from the factory. I have come to the conclusion that THESE are in fact the bumpers and tire carrier for me, so subbing in other bumpers is NOT an option.

I have consulted a professional Line-X dealer here in Omaha, and with the sand-blasting, the metal etch coat, Line-X primer, then the heat applied Line-X itself, the cost to do all three pieces is quoted at around the $950 USD mark. That is way, WAY, WAY out of my budget to get the stuff coated.
Not to mention, that although its guaranteed, and Im sure as, or MORE bomb-proof than any other coating, the Line-X is still VERY bumpy and has a lot of texture..............way more than I liked, and looks rougher than I wanted.

I also consulted several professional powder coaters. Also needing to be sand-blasted, as well as powder coat-primed, then powder coated, the cost with all that is also around the $900 mark.

Im NOT down for doing it myself as the fudge factor for getting it wrong is way too high, and I would like the coating backed/guaranteed as well if possible.
What Im wondering is what does everyone else do in situations like this were you need to coat bare parts?
Is there anything out the comparable to PSC's "SpiderShell" coating that is durable similar to Line-X, but smooth similar to powder coating?

Any help greatly appreciated.
TIA
Brian
Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Out2gtcha
Hey guys, Just as the title reads, I am in line to purchase some PSC stuff (Front/rear bumpers with skid plate and full body mount spare carrier). Unfortunately for me, the stuff I want is NOT available in their "SpiderShell" coating from the factory. I have come to the conclusion that THESE are in fact the bumpers and tire carrier for me, so subbing in other bumpers is NOT an option. I have consulted a professional Line-X dealer here in Omaha, and with the sand-blasting, the metal etch coat, Line-X primer, then the heat applied Line-X itself, the cost to do all three pieces is quoted at around the $950 USD mark. That is way, WAY, WAY out of my budget to get the stuff coated. Not to mention, that although its guaranteed, and Im sure as, or MORE bomb-proof than any other coating, the Line-X is still VERY bumpy and has a lot of texture..............way more than I liked, and looks rougher than I wanted. I also consulted several professional powder coaters. Also needing to be sand-blasted, as well as powder coat-primed, then powder coated, the cost with all that is also around the $900 mark. Im NOT down for doing it myself as the fudge factor for getting it wrong is way too high, and I would like the coating backed/guaranteed as well if possible. What Im wondering is what does everyone else do in situations like this were you need to coat bare parts? Is there anything out the comparable to PSC's "SpiderShell" coating that is durable similar to Line-X, but smooth similar to powder coating? Any help greatly appreciated. TIA Brian
Just have them powder coated man. Should be about $150 for both bumpers. If you go black. I got my rocker knockers done for $130, but that's because I had them make a custom matched powder coat for my bright white paint on the inserts. WAY cheaper than line-x and almost as durable. I've had car wrecks, smashed rocks offroad countless times, etc. no damage except a couple spots where it knocked a chip in the bumper, but still has some layers of powder coat under the chipped part.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Just fu**ing bedline them and if it looks like shit or you don't like it then so what, you already think they need to be "sand blasted" so it's no different...
Old 06-20-2016, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Just fu**ing bedline them and if it looks like shit or you don't like it then so what, you already think they need to be "sand blasted" so it's no different...
They do need to be sand blasted or coating doesn't adhere properly. Look up laser scale.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

OP if you want them to be nice and not have your choice of coating chip off easy as hell they will need to be sandblasted. Laser scale is a byproduct of using a laser cutting tool like a CNC plasma table that isn't noticeable to the eye. For it to be removed they make special products you can buy but if you have it professionally done they will sandblast it anyway. Which will remove the laser scale
Old 06-20-2016, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

They still looking at oil field prices up there? That's crazy expensive for powdercoat. A buddy just did rock sliders, a new rear bumper with tire carrier, and a few other components, all PoisonSpyder, and it was under $300 for everything. The setup is what they nail you on, so if you're taking it all in at the same time, it should be substantially less, or I'm in the wrong business.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jordy
They still looking at oil field prices up there? That's crazy expensive for powdercoat. A buddy just did rock sliders, a new rear bumper with tire carrier, and a few other components, all PoisonSpyder, and it was under $300 for everything. The setup is what they nail you on, so if you're taking it all in at the same time, it should be substantially less, or I'm in the wrong business.
I'm sure it was all done black. As I mentioned mine has custom made white to match the body. Also my price was under 300. So I'm not sure why you're saying that's expensive. It's pretty fair actually. Having them painted would cost more I checked. Having them line-x'd would cost about 3x as much.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also forgot to mention my body armor. Had that done with rocker knockers. The guy told me that white and red cost more to get for them than any other colors. So it's probably the same with most powdercoat shops on those colors. Also, gloss costs more than satin, which usually costs the same as flat. All my stuff is satin black and the white inserts are gloss
Old 06-20-2016, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jordy
Whoops, I thought you were talking to me. I just noticed I misread OP's post, I thought the line-x was 900, not powdercoat.

Yeah that is nuts
Old 06-20-2016, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use Por 15. It's relatively cheap, and you can brush it on.

Quick Reply: Coating bare metal Poison Spyder equipment