Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coast Front Driveshaft Install

Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTG
Your local shop probably just torqued it to 160 and called it a day too.

Just for the record I was nervous too, followed the WOL write up and 7000 miles later its still holding together...but maybe I'm just lucky. LOL!

FWIW: You should at least look under there and figure out how to do it, just in case something happens on the trail.

Good luck!
Good point
Old 07-31-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 did 160 ft lbs on both mine and they have been issue free solid for over 30k since install.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Also followed Project-JK instructions, and 9K later, no problems. Have a 3-1/2" OME Long Travel setup, and have flexed enough on the trails to flip my front swaybar and wrap it around the drag link. No problem with my DS.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markbxr400
Also followed Project-JK instructions, and 9K later, no problems. Have a 3-1/2" OME Long Travel setup, and have flexed enough on the trails to flip my front swaybar and wrap it around the drag link. No problem with my DS.
I did that to my sway bar the other day..new links are going on too. Luckily I knew what it was from reading on here and avoided blowing a tire.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Just because you have a shop install your ds doesn't mean its going to be done right and you wont have problems with it b/c of their work. The shop will probably just tighten the pinion nut down to 160lbs or who knows maybe you'll get the newbie who knows just enough to think he knows it all and he'll tighten it up to 250lbs with an impact wrench and you're SOL. If you do have problems, i would say that most shops will probably deny responsibility and blame the ds or the parts you supplied.

I did mine myself (just like I do almost everything else) because I can trust my self to follow instructions and do it right + if anything ever happens I will know what to do to fix it easy. I would follow the instructions on project-jk... but its you're Jeep.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've read through the project jk write up. I'm probably over-thinking all of this but, did anybody use a silicone on the yokes? I know some other write ups say to put a little bit on there when installing them.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Curiosity
Just because you have a shop install your ds doesn't mean its going to be done right and you wont have problems with it b/c of their work. The shop will probably just tighten the pinion nut down to 160lbs or who knows maybe you'll get the newbie who knows just enough to think he knows it all and he'll tighten it up to 250lbs with an impact wrench and you're SOL. If you do have problems, i would say that most shops will probably deny responsibility and blame the ds or the parts you supplied.

I did mine myself (just like I do almost everything else) because I can trust my self to follow instructions and do it right + if anything ever happens I will know what to do to fix it easy. I would follow the instructions on project-jk... but its you're Jeep.
This is why I will try and wait to have mine done the same time I have gears installed!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was nervous as well about removing the pinion yoke. I talked to Dave and Northridge and read everything I could find. I’m very mechanically inclined but gears are not my area and as everyone else I was afraid of ruining something. I did the same as a lot of other and torqued it to 160 lbs. About three months later and no problems. I didn’t want to take it to a shop to have it done because I know they wouldn’t put the care and concern into it that I would. That’s the reason I do as much as I can on my own. It is something you can take on! Take your time, after you are done you know one more thing you can do yourself with confidence.

Dave
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I put my big girl panties on an installed the DS. Wasn't too hard but I had to jack up the front to get enough clearance for a breaker bar since the 400 ft/lbs impact wasn't strong enough. (small air line). Did manage to punch myself
in the face which is always fun! I've driven about 40 miles highway and approximately 20 miles around town. No vibes yet..

Quick Reply: Coast Front Driveshaft Install