Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coast 1310 front drive shaft vs. custom shaft locally.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my coast 1310 for 450 from northridge with free shipping
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Ahhh, Canadian money. That makes sense.

Still confused about the front arms though. Everything I have read says that double cardans need different angles (pinion pointed at the tcase instead of parallel to the tcase output) and then play with the front caster/pinion to find the sweet spot between flighty and vibes.

Ohhh, with the lift, the pinion is already pointed up. Gotcha...
Eventually I catch on.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-30-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Still confused about the front arms though. Everything I have read says that double cardans need different angles (pinion pointed at the tcase instead of parallel to the tcase output) and then play with the front caster/pinion to find the sweet spot between flighty and vibes.
there's nothing to be confused about, just try it yourself. if you set your front pinion so that it points to your t-case, you WILL have negative caster and, among other things, this WILL give you terrible handling. sure, it would be optimal to do this and is required to do this for your rear drive shaft but up front, it's just not something you can do unless maybe you have a prorock 44 unlimited with it's built in caster.

Ohhh, with the lift, the pinion is already pointed up. Gotcha...
unless i'm misunderstanding you, even with the lift, the pinion will still be pointed in the same direction as before. the only way you can change this is with adjustable control arms.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-30-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

As it sits my diff is on a slight angle like seen in the second pic (although not as steep an angle).
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
As it sits my diff is on a slight angle like seen in the second pic (although not as steep an angle).
Yep, that is where I was confusing myself. (and correct me again if this is incorrect WOL, it's just the way I am thinking of it) After the lift, the caster is low, causing flighty handling. So we add adjustable arms to raise the caster (which lowers the pinion). This is where most posts I see start from. Caster is already corrected, which lowered the pinion, so when adding a double cardan DS, they would want to adjust the pinion angle again - which lowers the caster and gets into the caster vs vibe situation.

Since your caster is already low and the pinion is already pointed up a bit, you may not need the arms. Sound right?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
he lives in canada and it would be a lot more than $450 for him to get one of these. he also stated that he could get a coast for $520 and i'm guessing that this is from northridge4x4 canada.

x 2 call Stan, you can't go wrong with coast.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks WOL. So just to get this straight. I don't need either set of arms? I just don't understand how my new shaft wont fail like the stock one did without getting the geometry back to "stock".

And thanks for the link. Crappy thing is my torque wrench starts at 20 ft/lbs and the bolts on the transfer case end are supposed to be set to 15 ft/lbs.
I would highly recommend you get the ds with yolk replacement vs the one with the adapter for the stock flange. When you use the one with the adapter plate it pushes the double carden farther away from the t-case thus increasing the angle a possibility for vibes. Also when you change bothe the tcase and pinion yolk, its easier to make a trail repair on the u-joints if needed. That is if those bolts you are talking about are the ones on the stock yolk/flange. Hell, I always used a rachet end wrench anyway, couldn't see getting a torque wrench up there anyhow.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

So after all the extra reading I've been doing and after being told I shouldn't need the arms I still am left wondering why my DS has gone bad (if I don't need arms to correct the geometry) and what it is in the DS that goes "bad" and causes the drive line vibrations?

Anyone?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Yep, that is where I was confusing myself. (and correct me again if this is incorrect WOL, it's just the way I am thinking of it) After the lift, the caster is low, causing flighty handling. So we add adjustable arms to raise the caster (which lowers the pinion). This is where most posts I see start from. Caster is already corrected, which lowered the pinion, so when adding a double cardan DS, they would want to adjust the pinion angle again - which lowers the caster and gets into the caster vs vibe situation.

Since your caster is already low and the pinion is already pointed up a bit, you may not need the arms. Sound right?
your axle, frame and control arms effectively create a parallelogram. lifting your jeep will not cause the position of the pinion to change or, at least not by enough to really matter. rather than rotating upward with a lift, your axle will for the most part maintain its general attitude and this will cause the u-joint at the pinion flange to bend like a wrist. it's not a whole lot but, you would actually see an increase in the amount of deflection at this point and not a decrease. you can see this best when looking at the cv joints on a rear drive shaft of a lifted 2-door with stock arms. it's those severe angles at the joints that cause the cv boots to fail. in fact, one of the selling points of a radius arm design is that it can maintain the postion of the pinion and drive shaft angle throughout the cycle of it's suspension.

installing a set of adjustable control arms to increase the amount of positive caster you have (dropping the pinion even more) will help improve your handling after installing a tall lift and when running big tires but, the increased angle placed on the pinion and drive shaft joint will cause binding - in other words, vibrations. reducing the amount of positive caster you have (setting your pinion to be in line with your drive shaft) will help eliminate this bind and cause your vibrations to go away but, it will make your jeep feel super flighty. this is the balance we all struggle with or, at least for those who don't have locking hubs.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

So after all the extra reading I've been doing and after being told I shouldn't need the arms I still am left wondering why my DS has gone bad (if I don't need arms to correct the geometry) and what it is in the DS that goes "bad" and causes the drive line vibrations?

Anyone?
a drive shaft spins really fast and need to be balanced just like your wheels and tires. if you've knocked off a drive shaft weight or maybe bent it a bit after hitting a rock on the trail, that would be enough to throw it off balance and cause vibrations.

Quick Reply: Coast 1310 front drive shaft vs. custom shaft locally.