Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coast 1310 Driveshaft Maintenance

Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Just so you know, taking your transfer case skid off makes getting to the tcase bolts alot easier. I alway jack up the front aswell so I can spin a front tire tire to rotate the shaft so the bolts are easier to get to aswell.
I thought of that as well looking at the pictures on Project-JK - it would make getting to the tcase bolts a lot easier with the skid out of the way. Where exactly do you jack the front up at? I presume you're just using the jack to get the tires up just a little and not using jack stands?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
I thought of that as well looking at the pictures on Project-JK - it would make getting to the tcase bolts a lot easier with the skid out of the way. Where exactly do you jack the front up at? I presume you're just using the jack to get the tires up just a little and not using jack stands?
you can lift your jeep up from the axle and set it back down on stands. you just want it so that you can rotate your wheels. more times than not, i just do this with the jeep on the ground and roll my jeep forward or back as needed to do the same thing. either way will work.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info here. Thx.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you can lift your jeep up from the axle and set it back down on stands. you just want it so that you can rotate your wheels. more times than not, i just do this with the jeep on the ground and roll my jeep forward or back as needed to do the same thing. either way will work.
Thanks. Appreciate all the tips.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi

...you'll want to drop the shaft so that you can get some grease on the center ball of the double cardan...
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but does the grease just go ON the center ball of the double cardan or is there a zerk in there somewhere?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a needle fitting zerk, kinda looks like a belly button. You need a needle adapter for your grease gun end, the small kind that just snaps into your reg. One
Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wsutwiggy
sell it, buy a tom woods so you can grease it while it is on the jeep, makes maintance a breeze
I'm fine with the Coast right now.

Originally Posted by mkjeep
There is a needle fitting zerk, kinda looks like a belly button. You need a needle adapter for your grease gun end, the small kind that just snaps into your reg. One
Got the needle adapter - just not sure where exactly the needle fitting zerk is located.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 PM
JK-Forum Founder

honestly, it's just as easy to bend the double cardan open, smear some grease on the ball and then work it in. as you work it in, it'll give you a chance to get a physical feel for how it's working.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Thanks Eddie. I'll try and go that route - didn't get a chance to get that part done last Sunday because it started getting really hot and the driveway concrete starts getting a little toasty warm when the temps are in triple digits . May start on it early this coming Sunday.

Also, I'd emailed Coast to check before I started the thread here, and their response was this - so, does this mean that putting the grease on the center ball wouldn't do anything if they are sealed . I'll still probably drop the driveshaft and put the grease in there for good measure and when I take it down, will check to see if I see any zerk in there.
in all honesty, i've just been greasing the center ball out of habbit and because of experiences i've had with other popular brand drive shafts. i've only recently started to run coast with the JK and, truth be told, i've not had any of the problems i've had with the other shafts. the spicers are sealed u-joints and it would only make sense that the center ball is too.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Im sorry wayoflife i could not resist.. thats what she said!!

but in all reality I have not done this with my coast driveshaft and i have had no problems i have been greasing the zerk on the shaft every other oil change to keep up with it i might pull it off the jeep this weekend and make sure everything still looks good. Thanks for all the great information everybody

honestly, it's just as easy to bend the double cardan open, smear some grease on the ball and then work it in. as you work it in, it'll give you a chance to get a physical feel for how it's working.

Quick Reply: Coast 1310 Driveshaft Maintenance