Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CO2 system

Old 03-22-2018, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinlee

I built my own system. I only run a 5 lb tank on mine it fills 11 315/76/16 tires from 12 to 30lbs. I bought a 10 lb originally but my gas place place quit doin exchanges on the 10s. I tried a 5 and liked the size better than a 15. I picked up a 150lb fixed regulator from poly performance for around 50$ and the hoses fittings etc are from lowes. I would rough guess maybe 120$ in it all together.
11 tires on a 5lb bottle huh? That's got me thinking as I like the smaller size of the 5lb bottle anyways, I may have to go that route instead.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jscribn1
11 tires on a 5lb bottle huh? That's got me thinking as I like the smaller size of the 5lb bottle anyways, I may have to go that route instead.
These are the drawbacks of the CO2 systems.
1. Keeping track of how many times you used it and how much is left in the tank.
2. Finding a local place to refill/exchange
3. Size/Space of bottle vs output amount.
4. Ongoing costs of refill.

The performance is great of a CO2 system, but it's those drawbacks which steered me away from going that route. I'm more of a set it up and forget about it kind of person.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-23-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
1. Keeping track of how many times you used it and how much is left in the tank.

The performance is great of a CO2 system, but it's those drawbacks which steered me away from going that route. I'm more of a set it up and forget about it kind of person.
Your right keeping track is very important. Exchange isn’t bad for me the place i use is 5min away from work. Would be a lot less convenient if it wasn’t. It is possible that at some point I will outgrow my system but currently it works for me.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

1. I was thinking of a way to track it, maybe a piece of athletic tape on the bottle and a hash mark for every tire I fill. I also read somewhere what a full bottle weighs so I could always weigh it too.
2. My local welding shop will fill a 10lb bottle for $2 per lb. not an exchange system
3. I think the 10lb will serve my needs for now. I'm just a 1 day trip kinda guy (until I retire then it's on!)
4. I like the idea of the dual ARB compressor but have read about a lot of breakdowns so I like the simple CO2 operation
Old 03-24-2018, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

I just picked up a Smittybilt bottle with gauge and handle for $100. I'll give it a go as I've read about freezing issues with their regulator. I couldn't pass up the deal as a bottle from a welding co. or beverage supplier was more than $100. I really like the handle too so it's a win win for me. Once I get it all together I'll post pics and how it's working for me.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jscribn1
4. I like the idea of the dual ARB compressor but have read about a lot of breakdowns so I like the simple CO2 operation
I've never heard anyone with a dual ARB ever admit to one breaking down. I've always heard they can run 24/7 in 500 deg dessert climates without any shut down while filling (4) 80in tires from 5lbs to 120lbs in under 30 seconds and easily justifies the dual ARB's $550 price tag.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

I've never heard anyone with a dual ARB ever admit to one breaking down. I've always heard they can run 24/7 in 500 deg dessert climates without any shut down while filling (4) 80in tires from 5lbs to 120lbs in under 30 seconds and easily justifies the dual ARB's $550 price tag.
Really? The Jeep place I went to showed me a pile of motors he's replaced. He wasn't talking bad about ARB just giving me his experience with them. I may at some point run a dual system as well. I'm getting all the parts in the mail and I'll post up with pics once I get it done
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are pro's and con's to both.
I have an industrial place nearby that fills a 20# bottle for ~12bux while you wait, takes longer to run the debit card and sign the receipt than to fill the bottle.
I have 2 identical bottles so it's never a big deal to swing by and fill the other when convenient... I know their empty weights so it's never a surprise they are getting low.
CO2 does not rely on a motor, and having burned up "economical" pumps in the past (thinking that was a better means to use) I was over it.
CO2 is wayyyy faster, and, that may or may not be important or even matter to some.
I am happy to have made the switch, and now that I'm set up I'd not go back.
If getting the bottles filled was an inconvenience, I would run a "quality" pump... I would never pinch my pennies in that department again.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

I went and got the bottle filled today and the damn neck is leaking! The guy at the welding shop is super nice. He tried to tighten it with no luck, he said he'll bleed it down overnight, remove the valve and see if it just needs a new O ring. Hope that's it or I'll be tracking down the guy I bought the bottle from! The saga continues.......
Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARB onboard air

Metalcloak makes a bracket that lets your mount the ARB twin compressor under your hood. I have a Rubi so no need for air lockers but I got it so that I can air up when I am done wheeling. I ride at Uwharrie and there is always a line at the outpost to use the free air and it takes forever. I’m not using a separate tank because I didn’t want to have to worry about leaks in the lines. I run 38x13.50s and can air up all 4 tires from 15 back up to 38 psi in under 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: CO2 system