Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CO2 System.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CO2 System.

I'm working on a CO2 system that uses portable 24OZ Paintball CO2 tanks as the air source. I figure carrying 2-3 of these around will be cost effective, predictable, and faster.

The Setup works like this:
20 or 24Oz Paintball CO2 bottles fitted with a Universal Fill Adapter =>
a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 Reducer =>
Regulator + hose => Tire Chuck.

Press the Universal Fill Adapter and fill Tire.

The only question here is for me the PSI.
A typical CO2 paintball tank is rated around 800PSI... Now i'm not so sure i can just hit the tire with 800PSI (though if it worked i wonder what CFM i'd get) so my question is what PSI seems safe?

with brass fittings and a steel hose cable the assembly should be able to handle the pressure without problems. What should i be regulating to is my question.

Also to clarify its cheaper (10$-20$ per bottle, 3x20OZ => 3.75lb, 3x24oz => 4.5), Faster because since the assemblies pretty cheap i can make 3 of each and have a friend help me out. (30-60sec fillup per tire, x2), and more predictable because in my mind its better to have 2 small bottles empty out and have a third then it is for a 10lb bottle to be out and screwed.

Pics and setup to follow once i get this from paper to practice.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just get this, It works great!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...100&lpage=none
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks great but i'm looking to use different tanks, What PSI do you regulate to with that while filing tires?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redex
That looks great but i'm looking to use different tanks, What PSI do you regulate to with that while filing tires?
After searching a little I would regulate to 130-150PSI. Enough to run power tools (if you choose) and still fill your tires safetly.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by iadventure
I use this system... I have a 20 lb co2 tank at home I fill my 20oz co2 tanks with. You can use any paintball air tank w/ it, even those 5000psi tanks, but you'll need one heck of a scuba tank to fill them up.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curiosity
I use this system... I have a 20 lb co2 tank at home I fill my 20oz co2 tanks with. You can use any paintball air tank w/ it, even those 5000psi tanks, but you'll need one heck of a scuba tank to fill them up.
With the 20oz tank how many tires can you fill
Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jtlr
With the 20oz tank how many tires can you fill
Depends how low I deflate... about 2.25 tires per 20 oz. I used to sell paintball equipment so I have a lot of 9 oz co2 tanks left. I can get 1.1 or so tires per 9 oz tank. one thing you have to be careful about is that you don't accidentally tip the co2 tank to much so that the liquid co2 doesn't end up freezing the regulator and spitting liquid co2 into your tire... that couldn't be good, stuff freezes instantly when it decompresses

Quick Reply: CO2 System.