Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clutch Pedal Rattle

Old 07-12-2021, 10:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Rattle

I can’t stand the rattle any longer; I’m desperate for help. The rattle is coming from inside the Jeep in the driver side footwell. The rattle occurs intermittently. It happens in neutral as well as any gear. The only thing that will make the rattle stop is slight pressure on the clutch pedal itself.

I have replaced the clutch master cylinder as well was the plastic bushings on the shaft of the pedal assembly. With no luck of resolving the issue.

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution for it?

Old 07-13-2021, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

It could be an issue with the throwout bearing or pressure plate. That would probably be my next step.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 07-13-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

It sure does sound like the throwout bearing. If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, then take a long screwdriver, press the drive end to the bell housing and the other end to your ear. You should be able to track down where the sound is coming from. Mechanic's stethoscopes are inexpensive, if you need an excuse to buy a quite useful tool for tracking down noises ...

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...iece/70131_0_0
Old 07-14-2021, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

How much slop in the side to side pressure on the pedal itself? The bushings for the pedals are the little nylon bushings that never get lubricated. Then they get sloppy on the shaft. Check that first as well. PITA job to remove the shaft though - have to remove the drivers seat and become a contortionist and have u-joints for wrists. Two 'C' clips hold it in on the manual if you have to remove and the shaft slides to the right through a perfectly machined hole, designed for the purpose, in that thick cast frame that forms the skeleton of the dash. If you need to do that you will see what I mean.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this is a little old but my 08 6spd does the same thing. it did it when i bought it last fall and had to have clutch replaced this spring and new slave cylinder and it still makes exact same noise. i agree it is sooooo annoying!

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Rattle