Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clutch Install

Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Install

I did a couple of searches and have come up with nothing. Does anyone know any good write ups for install a clutch in a JK? Or does anyone have any helpful tips?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did my friends TJ it was pretty simple. unbolt front and rear drive shaft, remove skid plates and support the transmission with a jack or something. remove the bolts and pull the transmission/transfercase.(ofcours you would have to undo all the shifters and wires) Unbolt the pressure plate and off should come the old clutch. They kit he had came with a new Fork to replace and we did not refinish or replace the flywheel just sprayed it down with brake cleaner. At this point it was just reverse logic putting it back togather. He has about 10k miles on it and no sign of any problems.

If you blew up the clutch wear long sleve shirts/gloves. the clutch material is almost like fiberglass.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

The clutch is fine but the throwout bearing is another issue, it is gone. But while I am in there I figured I would replace the clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and flywheel.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles you have on it? if its under 100k i wouldnt replace the flywheel. its an expensive part if i recall
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
How many miles you have on it? if its under 100k i wouldnt replace the flywheel. its an expensive part if i recall
39,000 miles
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Replaced the throw out bearing a while back and upgraded the clutch with the Center Force II while I was at it. Be prepared to remove your exhaust from the manifold back as it crosses right underneath the transmission.

Quick Reply: Clutch Install