Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

clutch engaging next to none

Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch engaging next to none

hey guys, i'm hoping I can get some help with this.

I've been having trouble shifting in my 6speed and this is my second slave cylinder replacement on it.

I'm positive that all the air is out because the pedal feels great..

the problem...

when the jeep is off shifting through gears is simple..as soon as the jeep is running it's a different story.
every gear is very difficult to get into, sometimes if it's even possible.

i'm noticing while getting into first..if I have the clutch pedal to the ground it wants to start rolling forward before it can really click into first. once i find the sweet spot on the pedal the jeep will get into gear..but sometimes there is no sweet spot.

so, now i'm in first gear..sitting still with the clutch to the floor, the jeep wants to roll and or stall as if it's really not engaging.

by the way, this all occurs in every gear

does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

the throwout bearing is brand new and like I said, this is the second slave for this transmission. (the first one I did, it was leaking at the boot about 2months into it.)

all ideas are greatly appreciated!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if the Jeep is off and you put into 1st gear, push the clutch in and start the Jeep, what happens?

Then when you let the clutch out (still in 1st gear). What happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while wrenching on my Jeep.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
So if the Jeep is off and you put into 1st gear, push the clutch in and start the Jeep, what happens? Then when you let the clutch out (still in 1st gear). What happens? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while wrenching on my Jeep.

Starting in first gear the jeep wants to start rolling forward or stall out. When I let the clutch out it begins to roll like normal. I notice when I drive it's very difficult to shift. Sometimes I find a weird sweet spot on the pedal and it shifts easier.. (Sweet spot... When I push the pedal to the floor to shift I'm stuck in the gear I was in..slightly let off the pedal and it comes out of whatever gear and easily falls into the next desired gear)
Old 06-04-2014, 03:10 AM
JK Junkie

OK so the clutch is still making contact with the flywheel even with the clutch pedal depressed all the way to the floor.

The clutch is hydraulic so there are no adjustments...just need to make sure it is bled properly. They can be a real bear to bleed. What was your process for bleeding?
Old 06-04-2014, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like your throw out bearing is not doing its job. Your clutch may be stuck in the engaged position. Time to take it apart again, sorry
Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
OK so the clutch is still making contact with the flywheel even with the clutch pedal depressed all the way to the floor. The clutch is hydraulic so there are no adjustments...just need to make sure it is bled properly. They can be a real bear to bleed. What was your process for bleeding?
I vacuum bled it..went through a 12oz bottle of fluid just through the hydraulic system. Pedal feels great. Could it be a bad clutch? Since it won't engage?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirtymonkey
Sounds like your throw out bearing is not doing its job. Your clutch may be stuck in the engaged position. Time to take it apart again, sorry
It's been doing it. Pulled the transmission out, put a new Throwout bearing on making sure it seated properly and put it all back together. Started it up and the problem was never fixed.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by iLIKEitDIRTY
I vacuum bled it..went through a 12oz bottle of fluid just through the hydraulic system. Pedal feels great. Could it be a bad clutch? Since it won't engage?
OK sounds like you did a good job on the bleed.

Only other things that come to mind are....you have wrong clutch disk, clutch disk is installed backwards, pressure plate is warped or the pilot bearing/bushing is binding up.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

did you do install a complete clutch kit or just the throw out bearing ?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor

Have you sank the Jeep in any mud holes? If you did was the clutch compressed at all?

Good suggestion about the clutch disc being installed backwards not allowing the clutch to disengage.

Quick Reply: clutch engaging next to none