Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clutch being weird on 2009 Manual Transmission with 38k miles.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch being weird on 2009 Manual Transmission with 38k miles.

Hello so I have been noticing this recently randomly the last 5k miles.

Sometimes I have to "pump" the clutch after I have upshifted in order to get the clutch to engage the next gear.
1. Clutch down, shift up, release clutch, clutch didn't engage, depress clutch again and release it functions as normal.

and sometimes at under 15 miles per hour when I shift something gets stuck after I shift and the engine stalls out and while I am stuck in gear.

I am pretty sure I am adding enough gas when upshifting or downshifting so I don't know what gives.

Do I need to replace fluids or something?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you checked you fluids? The clutch is Hydraulic and you may need some fluid.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Canvas
Have you checked you fluids? The clutch is Hydraulic and you may need some fluid.
Would you recommend to make sure 3qrts of pennzoil synchromesh?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

He's talking about the clutch, so the brake fluid reservoir is where you'd need to start looking. It's got to be filled to the brim to make sure the clutch has enough fluid.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's a brake fluid issue if it disengages on the first pump. I think the pressure plate may be broken and not pushing back on the TOB as hard as it should. That, or the slave cylinder is sticking, but the pedal probably wouldn't return if that was the case.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
I don't think it's a brake fluid issue if it disengages on the first pump. I think the pressure plate may be broken and not pushing back on the TOB as hard as it should. That, or the slave cylinder is sticking, but the pedal probably wouldn't return if that was the case.
It happened again on the way home, releasing the clutch in gear its dead halfway then grabs all of a sudden

Last edited by matt852; 01-24-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

I guess the better way to describe it is that the backward pressure when releasing the clutch is there sometimes? Maybe its the cold?
Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
I guess the better way to describe it is that the backward pressure when releasing the clutch is there sometimes? Maybe its the cold?
I've driven mine in -30C, the clutch doesn't work any slower in the cold. You can tell that the transmission is cold, the syncros don't work as well and you grind a bit until you warm up the oil.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
He's talking about the clutch, so the brake fluid reservoir is where you'd need to start looking. It's got to be filled to the brim to make sure the clutch has enough fluid.
this may be a stupid question, considering, but what does the brake fluid reservoir do for the clutch fluid level/pressure?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Emptied Each Pocket
this may be a stupid question, considering, but what does the brake fluid reservoir do for the clutch fluid level/pressure?
The clutch is hydraulic just like the brakes. The clutch slave and master cylinders use the same reservoir as the brakes for hydraulic fluid (DOT 3). If the brake fluid is low, the clutch hyd line may have air in it.

Quick Reply: Clutch being weird on 2009 Manual Transmission with 38k miles.