Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

clunking noise ...

Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise ...

ok .. we are new jk owners. it's a 2007 4dr x unlimited. we did a lift about 5 months ago... just a TF 2.5" BB and are running 35" tires now. we have noticed this clunk noise as soon as you back out of the drive way and start moving forward. it has stated to get worse now. the noise is present almost every time you take off forward : from a stop sign, light, ... i've checked for tightness on all the bolts underside... it sounds like my buddies 88 yj with a full time locker. i just can't find it... any ideas?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get two people and have one listen under the jeep and the other push it from the front a few times then from the rear a few times and see if you hear it. If not, set the parking brake and carefully move it fwd and rev while someone listens squated beside the jeep).
Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi

Unless they have gone to an aftermarket driveshaft, I doubt it is a u-joint.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

our jeep still has the factory drivelines. we had the dealer replace the front one because the boot was torn... i put a pry bar in the yoke to see if i got movement but nothing... i will check for fluid levels and crawl under it again tonite...
we have less than 500 miles left on warranty!

one more thing.. how the heck do you post pics? thx-
Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Can you take some pics especially from angles were we can see the swaybar links, trackbars and springs.

Post them up so we can take a look.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2007JeepJKGirl
ok .. we are new jk owners. it's a 2007 4dr x unlimited. we did a lift about 5 months ago... just a TF 2.5" BB and are running 35" tires now. we have noticed this clunk noise as soon as you back out of the drive way and start moving forward. it has stated to get worse now. the noise is present almost every time you take off forward : from a stop sign, light, ... i've checked for tightness on all the bolts underside... it sounds like my buddies 88 yj with a full time locker. i just can't find it... any ideas?
Is it coming from the front or rear? I had a noise and determined it was the rear track bar bolt that goes thru the mount on the frame.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi

to post photos they need to be hosted online on a site like photobucket, or whatever, then you just click the yellow box in the chat box that has little mountain and paste the link to the image.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

The noise is in the rear. I thought that it was a driveline yoke (u-joint) at first. I'm not sure if i checked the rear track bar. I'm hearing home right now and will check that too. I'll try to get some pics up tonight. Thanks-
Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Jedi

did you loosen up any of the control arms? I would check those bolts and bushings too.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2007JeepJKGirl
The noise is in the rear. I thought that it was a driveline yoke (u-joint) at first. I'm not sure if i checked the rear track bar. I'm hearing home right now and will check that too. I'll try to get some pics up tonight. Thanks-
Take a look on the passenger side rear just to the left of the tire where the bumpstop would hit the axle. there would be a shiny spot if the bolt is hitting it. also the trackbar could be rubbing on the spring, it will be in the same area. look for a shiny spot on the track bar or the passenger side rear coil.

Quick Reply: clunking noise ...