Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clunking from Drivers Wheel

Old 11-02-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking from Drivers Wheel

I have a strange clunking or thumping under the floorboard on my unlimited rubicon that seems to happen on the drivers side floor at highway speeds >60mph. Its a weird thumping about 1-3 times a second and it seems to not be periodic. Its more random. It seems to not happen immediately when you get up to highway speeds. Instead it takes 30 seconds to a minute to sort of "build" up. And it doesn't happen at slower speeds.

I have a 3" teraflex lift with clayton front lower control arms and a Tom Woods front drive shaft. Before I take it into the dealer, does anyone have any suggestions on what this annoying clunking might be?? Its hard to hear, but you can feel it through the floor.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is were my clunking is and maybe your is more noticeable with the lift.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+clunks&page=2
Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi

This may not be the issue. When I modifed my fenders the skirt started flapping at highway speeds. It was random. I pulled the skirts sound gone. Its a long shot but......
Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input and the ideas. The vibration is more thudding through the floorboard. What does a bad wheel bearing sound / feel like?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked your exhaust mounts and heat shields, there is one directly under the driver side, loose mount bolt, pipe hitting. They can make some strange ass noises. I had another weld break on my crossover pipe to day. Sounded like my tranny or rear end was f'd up. You'll know when a wheel bearings going bad, it'll squawl berfore it goes thunk, thunk, then your being towed. haha. Check your fenders and skirts as WW said. Sometimes the strangest noises are the easiest fixed and hardest to find. Also check for crad under your seat and back seat. If it's a random noise and also hits at a certain speed, it's most likely something simple. also check for a loose body, slider or step mount bolt.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

we felt a thumping from underneith, there was not pattern to it. It wasn't speed related. We're blaming it on the high cross winds in the valley, smacking under the jeep.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ghostseses!

Click image for larger version

Name:	scared.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	32407
Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by FlameRed
we felt a thumping from underneith, there was not pattern to it. It wasn't speed related. We're blaming it on the high cross winds in the valley, smacking under the jeep.
Thats when I got mine.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Driveshaft maybe?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies again!

It turns out it was the stupid plastic wheel well lining flapping in the wind. Must have gotten more flexible when it warmed up..

Quick Reply: Clunking from Drivers Wheel