Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clunk- turn Clunk-Bump Clunk

Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember having this issue on my cherokee. It turned out to be a loose control arm bolt. And another one is the trackbar bolts. I didn't read this thread fully, but just throwing this out there.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the clunk clunk clunk clunk WOL mentioned before. mine gets really bad when it is cold outside...like in the mornings at 7AM. I notice it really well when going on a clover on ramp when the ramp is made of concrete and it has the section lines. I believe mine started when I put on my SJ 2" BB. I have checked all the bolts that I removed to put the BB on. I have had this problem for about 20,000 miles or so. I just ignore it not, but I know I shouldnt.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

found out what my clunk clunk was!!! there is a bushing missing where the steering shaft goes through the fire wall. IDK if it fell out or i just never had one
Old 05-28-2021, 11:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
did this just start recently or have you had it ever since installing your new tires? also, is it just a single clunk or more like a clunk clunk clunk kind of thing? have you checked your sway bar links to make sure they are tight and have you checked your control arm bushings to make sure one isn't blown?
i have the same issue and clunk clunk clunk after new tires installed. What could it be?
Old 09-27-2021, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RedX
Alright. Just checked out a bunch of stuff on the jeep to try to isolate the clunk.
Sway bar and end links are fine. No play at all.
Tie rod ends, no play
ball joints, no play
caliper bolts are tight

the lower control arm on the driver side was tight but if I pulled on it made a metal clunk noise.
This is the rear LCA mount.
I have a feeling that the bushings are shot. :(
someone else please check their bushings as well to be sure.
It really sounds like it may be the problem.
i have the same issue with my 2012 Jku rubicon same noise like metal to metal hitting, i will double check my control arms to check bushings but just curious was this your actual problem? did it go away after replacing bushing ?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 09-27-2021, 12:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_Rubicon
i have the same issue with my 2012 Jku rubicon same noise like metal to metal hitting, i will double check my control arms to check bushings but just curious was this your actual problem? did it go away after replacing bushing ?

Thanks,
Andy
That member hasn't been on the site since 2013, so don't hold out hope for a direct response. what area are you getting the noise from? I would suggest maybe starting a new thread in either the Stock JK subforum if factory suspension, or Modified JK subforum if we're dealing with a lifted jeep. Just explain your issue and efforts to narrow it down so far.

Quick Reply: Clunk- turn Clunk-Bump Clunk