Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clucth Engaging Near the Top

Old 03-01-2015, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clucth Engaging Near the Top

Got a noob question regarding the end of the life of a clutch. Here is what is happening, I would really appreciate anyone's input on their experiences...

I performed the "clutch" test when driving up a hill going down in gears and revving the engine there is no slippage.
I also performed the immovable object test and the vehicle stalled as it should have and not just kept running.

The issue I am having with it is that it engages almost at the very top of the clutch pedal. It's not hard to drive or hard to get into gear.

Back story, there have been many of times in the past 30K miles while on the trail, the clutch smoking like crazy along with smelling quite burnt. But other than that it has driven great.

My question is, do I need a new clutch? TOB? Something else? Any input much appreciated!!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Your clutch is hydraulically activated. Part of that may be going out. Check brake fluid reservoir level (clutch and brake share it). You can try bleeding clutch, but you may have a bad slave or master cylinder. Slave is most likely of the two, and is an easy change. Master is a bit more difficult, but still home mechanic doable. Could also be a leak somewhere. Check for brake fluid.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

isnt hydraulic clutch self adjusting? if it was going to go, the engagement should be more towards the bottom of the pedal.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
isnt hydraulic clutch self adjusting? if it was going to go, the engagement should be more towards the bottom of the pedal.
There's no self-adjusting mechanism, but now that I think about it, yeah it should be near the bottom. I've been driving sticks for over 50 years and when a clutch goes out, you experience that as slippage. You've tested that. The TOB causes a lot of noise as it fails, which you don't mention. There are other parts--the fork and ball it pivots on, pressure plate, etc. But I don't think those are the issue here. Maybe you just need to become comfortable with the feel of your clutch as it is.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine engages right at the top since it was new (2013). My dads 2014 does as well. That's pretty much normal.

As for smoking while wheeling, that is not normal. Either it is slipping or you are using the clutch and shouldn't be. There is no need to feather the clutch offroad.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Mine engages right at the top since it was new (2013). My dads 2014 does as well. That's pretty much normal.

As for smoking while wheeling, that is not normal. Either it is slipping or you are using the clutch and shouldn't be. There is no need to feather the clutch offroad.
My '15 engages near the top as well. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is what it is..
Old 03-01-2015, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There's no self-adjusting mechanism, but now that I think about it, yeah it should be near the bottom. I've been driving sticks for over 50 years and when a clutch goes out, you experience that as slippage. You've tested that. The TOB causes a lot of noise as it fails, which you don't mention. There are other parts--the fork and ball it pivots on, pressure plate, etc. But I don't think those are the issue here. Maybe you just need to become comfortable with the feel of your clutch as it is.
Possible. This is only my second Jeep that is manual, all the others have been automatic. I will check the brake fluid and see what the deal is.

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

I haven't smoked it in quite a bit about a year. And these symptoms began recently, within the past few weeks.

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
My '15 engages near the top as well. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is what it is..
It does engage near the top but does it make sense for it to engage immediately? I feel like I have some what proper body awareness and when releasing the clutch it will not move until the top and then almost springs into gear.

Quick Reply: Clucth Engaging Near the Top