Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

And the clicking sound is...

Old 06-17-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And the clicking sound is...

The driveshaft

Had my Jeep at the shop today for an annoying clicking sound coming from the underside of the rig. It makes a clicking sound when accelerating in gears 1, 2 and 3 up until road noise washes it out. Had never made the noise until after I got it stuck in a mud hole at Rausch Creek. Dealer told me today that my driveshaft is at too steep an angle because of the lift. I have a 2.5" Teraflex BB!!! WTF? Tell me they are wrong... I think its something inside the tranny and they're just avoiding taking it apart.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by H2_RESQ
The driveshaft

Had my Jeep at the shop today for an annoying clicking sound coming from the underside of the rig. It makes a clicking sound when accelerating in gears 1, 2 and 3 up until road noise washes it out. Had never made the noise until after I got it stuck in a mud hole at Rausch Creek. Dealer told me today that my driveshaft is at too steep an angle because of the lift. I have a 2.5" Teraflex BB!!! WTF? Tell me they are wrong... I think its something inside the tranny and they're just avoiding taking it apart.
do you have an automatic? if so, did you check to see if the metal clamp on the front drive shaft boot is loose or damaged? this is not uncommon and the ticking sound would be the clamp taping on the auto skid.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, manual 6spd. I'm gonna put it up on a friends lift in the next few days, put it in gear, and have my buddies listen underneath it.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Junkie

Im just thinking out loud, but could it be mud or water that got in the drive shaft boot and now its dry and making noise?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like the bearing going out...same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago after mudding it a week or two prior to that. Replaced the rear shaft with a JE Reel (added FT adj uppers to correct the pinion angle and rid myself of the new driveline vibe as well).

Nice avatar
Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

I have it too, and it is pissing me off to no end! PLEASE, any suggestions fixes, would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2_RESQ
Nope, manual 6spd. I'm gonna put it up on a friends lift in the next few days, put it in gear, and have my buddies listen underneath it.
If you cannot isolate it on the lift you can take the front drive shaft out and go for a ride. Leave it out when you return to the "shop" that diagnosed it if they were wrong. I say "shop" because the excuses you listed sounds just like the dealer.

I've had very poor luck with diagnosing drive line noises on a lift because the tires hang down so when you spin it up it may act different. Tripod stands can almost eliminate the problem, but it is scary.

You mention 1st, 2nd, 3rd ... does the noise increase in frequency the faster you go, or does it change speeds as you shift? Does it happen the same on dirt or paved roads? Still the same even if you apply the brakes? The same if you have the parking brake tensioned a little?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

My boot ripped the last time i went out....so thats bad, huh...?....what am I looking at down the road cause i've got the same clicking noise....in other words How do I fix it?

Last edited by x No Compromise Offroad x; 06-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

its the shaft mine does it to same thing from the dealer to steep but hard to belive that a BB would cause it. Its better to upgrade to a normal cv ( double cardan jointed shaft ) and be done with it
Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by x No Compromise Offroad x
My boot ripped the last time i went out....so thats bad, huh...?....what am I looking at down the road cause i've got the same clicking noise....in other words How do I fix it?

replace the shaft

Quick Reply: And the clicking sound is...