Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clicking noise when accelerating

Old 12-21-2020, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise when accelerating

So about 3 weeks ago I noticed on my way to work I had a clicking sound under my Jeep. The clicking sound only happens when accelerating and seems to do away once I get to around 40 mph or I just can't hear it because of road noise. Clicking sound happens in both 2wd and 4wd. I bought the Jeep used and it came with a 2.5 inch lift. It does still have the stock drive shafts on it so that's what I am thinking it is. Any advice would be helpful before I drop $1000 on new drive shafts and still have a problem. I have a video of the noise but can't seem to upload it on here.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd check your u-joints in the front axle shafts first- they're cheaper than driveshafts and could also make a clicking noise.
The following users liked this post:
dahreno (01-01-2021)
Old 12-22-2020, 11:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Jeep is 11 years old. Guess if it's that DS or u-joints you got some pretty good life outta em! With the 4dr wheelbase that rear DS is probably just fine and dandy still, and the front is ~$425 for a 1310. You might even look and see if you can source another factory front DS for dirt cheap around you if it's worked for you this long. As Karl noted, inspect the u-joints first as they are easy to look at, then maybe pull that front DS and see if noise disappears.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just replaced both drive shafts with the Adams 1310 and the old ones were shot, the rubber was completely tore up on both drive shafts. Now I am having another problem. When I am parked in neutral and I shift into first gear I get a clunking sound coming from underneath. I don't get any sounds shifting into any other gears. It only seems to be when the Jeep is at a complete stop and I go from neutral into first.

All of my clicking sounds are gone though and it rides really smooth.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Mitch, sounds like you are taking up the backlash in your diff gears which may be exacerbated by having excess backlash or higher idle or a combo of both. Does it clunk bad shifting onto gear when you are in 4 HI?
Old 01-02-2021, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Pull the driveshaft at the axle side and see if there's play in the flange. Been there, done that, and ended up with a new set of gears.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when accelerating